Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am sure there will be the odd handler who goes through a number of dogs before finding one that can take them to the top of their game, but in my limited experience those kind of handlers were few and far between.
So it seems that you are saying that it is partly the dog but mostly the determination of the handler to find the best way to train the dog he/she has and to work really really hard.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Would you say that any of your rotties could have been trained to do obedience Shona or did you choose the dog you worked for a particular reason?
they all could be trained to do obed to some extent, but some are just naturaly better than others,
Royce was bought as a 16 month old dog, he took to it very well, there was no real reason behind getting him except that I loved his personality and temprament, I was lucky he enjoyed training,

Kaos is well trained, but I doubt I would use him for obed, its not really his thing, he likes doing clicker stuff though.

I will eventuly get round to doing more with vinnie........ but im not holding my breath on how well he will or will not do,
with vinnie he will either be bloody great.............or a nightmare. lol there will be no middle ground with that lad
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
I think the Border Collie has to be king at this - coupled of course with a very good, dedicated handler. JMO
The bcs definitely do it in style and with lots of enthusiasm.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I think it depends on quite a few variables (although I'm no expert, having only competed at basic companion level in this type of obedience).

Some dogs breed characteristics will come into it - for example BCs usually love to repeat things, GSDs tend to really enjoy pleasing their owners, BSDs - well they can be damn good but you may also need a real sense of humour

Many are using the old clicker training methods now because they can be so very precise which is needed in obedience.

JMO as a non competitor in Comp. Obed. but admirer.

Wys
x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:29 PM
they definitely have style, I do think {just my own view} having trained a collie, GSD and rotties in obed,
the larger dogs find it more physically challenging holding healwork positions,

that said my GSD could work for hours and he was a lot bigger than the rotties, but the rotties are built diff, they are shorter and stocky, so it can be quite challenging on them
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
The bc's style and enthusiasm is what I think constantly gives them the edge over other breeds - 100% unadulterated focus! They'd probably be regarded as king at working trials too if they were just as glam as the gsd - just my opinion of course!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:39 PM
I think any breed of dog can do it as long as they have the enthusiasm and the righ channeling...

theres currently a rottie working champ Shona so get moving with Vinnie! I expect to see you at a show near us soon (have to have my rottie fix!)

one of our trainers has two fab goldies working high up, ones c only and her youngster is working a & b - they've just had pups and are absolutely scrummy!

My next dog won't be a collie (probably be a spaniel) and i'd look around for a line that has drive and then hope to channel it into obedience - not guaranteeing it'll work but we'll have good fun trying!

x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:39 PM
So it seems that you are saying that it is partly the dog but mostly the determination of the handler to find the best way to train the dog he/she has and to work really really hard.
That is how I have found it, yes
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I did think when watching the goldie that he seemed to have to make a bit more effort to hold the heelwork position whereas the bcs just seemed to do it really naturally.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 08:41 PM
BCs are definitely the breed of choice for this kind of training, but I have seen some VERY stylish GSDs at competition too.

One of the training instructors at my old DTC had very stylish and enthusiastic Standard Poodles, who excelled at training (and competition).
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »