Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angel 02
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-01-2009, 04:50 PM

scratching

hello every one, happy new year got a problem with one of my staffys, we only got her about 8 weeks ago and she wasn't treated very nice in her last home over the last few days she has started really scratching mostly behind her ears to the point that they are bleeding not sure if this is serious and needs vets attention or can be solved at home ???? oh and she hasn't got fleas they have both been treated and i have checked her
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi there.

I would definitely visit the vets if she is scratching so badly she is making herself bleed. There could be a number of explanations ranging from ear mites, a skin infection or allergy, but hopefully the vet will be able to diagnose what the problem is and give you something for her to treat it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi Angel I agree with Hali about visiting the vet to get a correct diagnoses. There are many reasons why dogs scratch excessively from mites to allergies and your vet should be able to find the cause using tests and a process of elimination.
In the meantime make sure your puppy doesn't have sharp nails to cause damage. I you don't feel able to the clip the nails yourself blunt the nails by using a nail file and emery board , the human kind.