Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2015, 11:07 PM

Mispronounced names

Okay this does irritate me. My name is Myra. It is FOUR letters and pronounced "MY-rah". I get telemarketers and other annoying people calling me all the time and saying "ME-rah". How hard is it to pronounce such a short and simple name? Does anyone else have to deal with a constantly mispronounced name?
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2015, 05:06 AM
I dont but my son does.. His name is Ryan.

Again its just 4 letters and an very old Irish name that you would expect people to be used to by now but no..

He gets called Ri-en Ri-anne Rhi-anna or Miss- R xxxxxx then when a 6 foot tall man stands up people say 'oh I thought Ryan was a girls name now'

Poor lad he seriously regrets our choice these days.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2015, 06:35 AM
May name in is Malcolm and I get some weird spellings of it. Whenever I get an automatic reminder about a hospital appointment, the machine always say Malcoma!
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Myra and others that follow, I do empathize. People always want to spell my name with an i instead of a y and then either call me Myra or Mira and even been called me Moysie. Better that than Biddy which is what I was called most of my childhood because my second name is Bridget and so was the midwife who delivered me and she was always known as Biddy. Hated it as I remember a hen being called it when I was a child. But had some friends that loved the name so much they called their dog Biddy. Can't please everyone and better to be called than not at all. Have a good day all.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2015, 07:05 AM
I can't say I agree that it's better to be called by some random name than not at all. Usually the people who can't say my name properly are people I never wanted to talk to in the first place such as telemarketers and other people who don't know me and are only reading my name off of a piece of paper or computer screen.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2015, 07:07 AM
What makes me mad is being addressed by strangers by my Christian name. That is a privilege I give when deserved. Or Ms.. yukk!!! Poor Moyra, and you are not even Irish to be called Biddy! And always this is face to face as I do not have a phone contact for incoming calls. No marketing etc thus
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Rose, I am of Irish extraction and all my brothers and sisters have Irish names too! I was always known as Biddy from Cork..........or the little gypsy girl. Lol as I preferred to be bare footed most of the time.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2015, 07:48 AM
My name is Brenda and often get called Barbara. My daughters name is Sara but often spelt by others, Sarah, which winds her up. But it is pronounced Sara, not Sarra. Mind you my husband's name is Thomas and I often call him Tomarse.lol. My other daughter is Melanie and that gets spelt wrongly sometimes. At least they remember to call us something. I am definitely with you though Rosebud, if I may call you that, with strangers calling me by my first name. At school they have to call the teachers by their given Mr, Miss or Mrs followed by their surname where Sara works but I know some schools call them by their first name. All wrong to me. I suppose it is how we are brought up.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
My name is Brenda and often get called Barbara. My daughters name is Sara but often spelt by others, Sarah, which winds her up. But it is pronounced Sara, not Sarra. Mind you my husband's name is Thomas and I often call him Tomarse.lol. My other daughter is Melanie and that gets spelt wrongly sometimes. At least they remember to call us something. I am definitely with you though Rosebud, if I may call you that, with strangers calling me by my first name. At school they have to call the teachers by their given Mr, Miss or Mrs followed by their surname where Sara works but I know some schools call them by their first name. All wrong to me. I suppose it is how we are brought up.
Ah Rosebud is fine as it is not my name! I was a teacher and we would never have allowed that familiarity. I was teaching at 22 , 18 year olds so the status and separation the title gave was vital . My visitors last week were from Texas and they addressed as " Yes Ma'am" which is quaint and charming. Loved it!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2015, 02:25 AM
Gah, at 22 Ma'am is charming...at 52 it makes you feel over the hill and out...heeheehee

Anyways my hubby is Sicilian and I think they butchered the last name when they got off the boat. We married in 1988. I have been spelling that name and correcting the spelling of that name sometimes daily for almost thirty years.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >