Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blovedogs
New Member!
Female 

05-01-2015, 06:51 AM

Toilet Train / Paper Train

My Chihuahua used to be paper train but recently she tend to pee and poo on the kitchen toilet floor cloth instead of the newspaper. Therefore I have to wash the floor cloths almost 2 -3 time a day . Can someone advise me why the change in the pattern? I have thought of remove the floor cloth but is dangerous for elderly who walk out from the toilet as it is slippery. Is there a possibility to re-train her again? Thanks.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Hello , I have a chihuahua too.

how old is your dog , does she have any health problems ?

Do you put newspaper down in the kitchen or another room .

Some dogs prefer to wee on certain surfaces . She might prefer to wee on a soft surface such as the cloth rather than newspaper.
That could be one reason but if you can give us more information we can come up with more suggestions.

Alison
Blovedogs
New Member!
Female 

06-01-2015, 12:55 AM
She is 4 years old female and does not have any health issue. The paper is put on the floor in the kitchen and the toilet cloth is just outside the toilet in the kitchen. I just don't understand why she can pee on paper in the past but change your pattern recently to pee on the cloth.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Can you take up the floor cloth for 2-3 weeks until you break the habit? It may just get her back to her usual routine without too much trouble
Blovedogs
New Member!
Female 

07-01-2015, 01:50 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. Removing the floor cloth is ok for me as I usually use the master bedroom toilet. My elderly parents who use the kitchen toilet will need to have the cloth to prevent slippery fall. That why I did not remove the cloth when I had the same thinking as you to remove the cloth.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Soemthing might have put her off from going on the newspaper. She could have been using it and a firework went off or something banged.

Could try putting puppy pads down on top of the paper .
Blovedogs
New Member!
Female 

08-01-2015, 01:22 AM
Yap, it should be the case that something scared her off when using the papers as my Chihuahua is quite timid.
I will try using the pad on top of the papers and see how it works. Thanks for your advise and suggestion.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2015, 10:15 PM
I would go back to the basics and re-train her to use the paper pad. I'm guessing she thinks she can go on both types of surfaces, the rug and the paper. How did you initially train her to use the paper? Did you give her treats for doing so? Did you keep her on a leash? I would do whatever you did originally.
Blovedogs
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2015, 03:10 AM
Initially, I would spray those paper train smelly stuff onto the paper and bring her to paper to smell it and tell her that this is the place to pee and poo. If she did not do so, I will bring her to the paper to let her smell it and remind her again. Amazingly, after a few reminders, she understand and do it even without spraying the smelly stuff. Of course when she did it, I will reward her with treats and toys.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2015, 05:32 AM
Hi, Blovelove.......I have 5 Chihuahua'a of all different ages from 14 yrs. to 4 yrs. I am a past breeder and a rescuer. You are so lucky that your girl was so easy to train the first time around. Chi's are notoriously one of the hardest breeds to housebreak which is one of the reasons so many people end up doing paper training instead of for outside. They are stubborn, most refuse to get their feet wet, hate loud noises and would rather hang out cuddled up to something on the couch all day than go out for a minute to pee. They have bladders half the size of a walnut and they hold that pee so long most can't walk very far till they just gotta go! With all that they are also loving, adorable, extremely loyal and super smart. I agree with the others about the loud noises. A chi is easily scared and would be put off by a loud bang. I almost forgot to mention that I've almost never seen one that didn't choose fabric over paper to "go" on. Mine love a nice, new throw rug, some more than others, so I don't have any. Also I don't tempt them by having carpeting on the floors. But that's just me. The dogs rule!!!! Your little girl can be taught to do things your way again. It only takes time and patience and love and understanding. Seems to me that you have all that or you wouldn't be here asking for advice. I commend you for it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >