Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Introducing Raw to a Rescue Dog

I feed my 2 dogs raw, and I would like to feed my mums new rescue Springer Spaniel raw as well.

Is it ok to fed it him raw straight away for his first meal? (they are fed dry food at the kennels)
I have some chicken drumsticks that I was going to mince for him, as he seems quite hungry and I don't want him eating too quickly and choking himself.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2010, 10:33 AM
If he's only just arrived then I would give him a week or so to settle in on whatever food he was fed before - I bought a sack of Casper's food from the rescue to keep him on it as he'd already been switched onto that when he went into rescue and thought it would be too much to move homes (again) and switch foods (again).
However, if you can't get hold of what he was being fed on then feeding raw food isn't going to be much different to feeding a different brand of commercial food really.
If you're worried about him not chewing the drumsticks, you can always hold one end of it and make him eat from your hand, that way he has to chew it.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Coming from a kennel enviroment to a home one means big changes for any dog.

I'd stick to what he knows for a few days before introducing the raw. That way if he gets a dodgy tummy you will know if it's coming from stress, possible illness etc rather than a change of food.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Agree with what said above. With my rehome Totts she was previously being fed scraps from the table so I put her straight on raw and she has done very well on it. With Muffin we gradually introduced from cans to supermarket mince to raw diet.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I had my rescue when I was still feeding them kibble but they had raw on odd occassions. She apparantly came from a farm and will eat just about anything raw wise, if the other dogs pick at it and leave it, I know Jessie will hoover it up. I think maybe it was a diet she was used to in her previous home.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 06:44 PM
I would let him settle in first on his own food for a few days then just skip a meal and then feed raw.