View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dionne
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2010, 06:09 PM

Introducing a New Rescue Dog Into the Home...

Hello,

We have been thinking of getting a new dog for a couple of months now, and Bailey, our Bull Mastiff Cross, has made introductions at the Rescue Centre and appeared to tolerate quite well one of the dogs we have identified. The new dog is a Lurcher. Gorgeous Dog and very friendly, the kids liked him too.

I would appreciate any advice offered on how to introduce the new dog into the home, as I am aware that it will be different bringing the dog into Bailey's territory, rather than Bailey going to meet the dog on HIS territory.

We are thinking that, when the new dog arrives at home, before bringing him in, have my husband and him meet Bailey and I at the park for a walk and then walk home and go into the house together. Any ideas on what to do for the first couple of nights?

Thank you,

Dionne and Bailey
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Excellent idea to walk together and then come in---when you say he tolerates him what exactly do you mean?

I would find a place for the new dog to sleep which does not impinge on the older dogs usual routine.

Some lurchers do get very runny tummies when they are stressed so that could happen, some do poo a lot as well so be aware of that as a possibility. They also do sometimes have seperation problems so maybe a dog gate for nights would be agood idea so he can see the other dog but not pester him.

Common sense woll get you through---good luck!

rune
Dionne
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the response Rune. By "tolerate" I mean he was fine with him, ignored him for the most part and was happy to walk with him, played in the garden and he did let the lurcher know that he did not want to be "dominated" by him. But then they just went about their business. I think that that lurcher tested Bailey out to see who was going to be the dominant one, and realised it was Bailey, and then they were both fine with it.

Thank you for the tips.....
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 08:58 PM
The walk is exactly what i was going to say, as far as I know it is the best thing to do. I recently brought a new dog into the home. We had a long drive home so let them have a wee sniff quick walk then back up the road. New dog in the boot and Muffin in the front so they could smell each other but they werent in each others face. When we got home we took them both for a walk and put them straigh to bed (was about 1 in the morning by the time we got home) Totts in a crate in the living room and brought Muffin into the bedroom in her crate as normal. Both completely fine. By the next day they were inseperable and Totts cried for Muffin at night lol so now they both sleep together in Muffins crate.

Just be aware not to pay to much attention to the new dog and not your current dog as jelousy is an evil thing lol. And keep to your current routine

But seems as though you know exactly what your doing anyway

L xxx