Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Travelling with a dog

ive just got my new car today
so im after some advice, in my old car ruby just used to go on the back seat with a blanket down but she is sick in the car sometimes so i was thinking of getting either a crate which fits in the boot or getting one of them guard things that go across the top of the back seats and leaving her loose in the boot
which one would you go for/which is best and where would i get one from
any help apreciated
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Hi Lousie, have fun with the new car

I prefer my two to travel in a crate, always have. I have a few crates, and i know you can get them fairly cheaply off e-bay.

I have read some horror stories on dogs in boots - so that is my preference x
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 11:10 AM
I prefer mine to travel in crates also much safer all round.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
My two go in the boot with a dog guard...

Frankly, given the size/weight of them, it would be a nightmare trying to sort out crates for them (which would have to be taken in/out of the car all the time) and get the boys in and out of them

I also have car harnesses for them, if they need to go on the seats
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
As our 2 are too big for crates that would fit in the car we have a dog guard. We have just ordered our next car and ordered a manufacture fitted dog guard to protect them. I deplore people NOT to let their dogs sit in the front seat of the car as you see many older people do with their little dogs; if the dogs are going to sit on the rear seats then I think dog harnesses attached to the seatbelts are a must.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 07:58 PM
We used to have a crate when we had our Landrover Freelander and I think they are the best option if you have a large car and don't have to move the crate in and out all the time.

Now we have a smaller car (Corolla) the dogs have harnesses that cip into the seatbelt clips and a brilliant wipeable fabric cover that covers the whole back seat behind them and beneath them. In a smaller car I think that the middle of the car is the safest place to be but I admit to being somewhat paranoid as I have had 3 rear collisions where people have driven into my car.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2010, 10:35 AM
jake hasnt been in the car much, not since he was a wee pup who would sit on my knee in the back. but im going to get a dog guard so he can go in the boot. i dont have a car (yet ) so its my mums he goes in and she would never let me put a crate in the back. it is too hard when there is often a buggy in the boot and two car seats in the back. so a crate wouldnt allow much room for everything.

ETA, i would never have jake and the buggy in the boot at the one time.
Vicki84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know if tests have been done re. crates and rear end impacts? I would imagine they would be safer in crates than loose, but it depends how strong the crates are?

I have my dogs on the back seat with a car harness each as I worry about what would happen to them if someone craashed into the back of us. But thinking to the future (hopefully children), they won't always be able to sit in the back!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Poppy has a harness on the back seat. It isn't very often she's alone in the back of the car anyway, usually my mum sits in the back with her. I would worry about the impact of a rear end crash if she was in the boot.
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Oscar sits on the floor of the front passenger seat, usually under the legs of the person (normally my husband) sitting there. If I take him in the car on my own then he still sits in the front passenger footwell as that is where he is calmest and happiest.

When hubby had a dog his used to go in the boot with a dog guard (and Oscar would go in there sometimes too). His new dog will almost certainly go in the boot with either a crate or a guard once we know how big he is.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >