View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PrincessPooch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I already said in my reply that if the dog is used for hunting ill bunnies and ONLY ill bunnies I have no issue with it (if that comment was aimed at me) because I would rather them killed quickly rather than suffer.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by PrincessPooch View Post
I already said in my reply that if the dog is used for hunting ill bunnies and ONLY ill bunnies I have no issue with it (if that comment was aimed at me) because I would rather them killed quickly rather than suffer.
How can a Dog distinguish between an ill Rabbit and a healthy one? If a Rabbit is sitting, who knows? Dont forget they squat and dont move untill the very last second, who's to say they are ill or not?

Re Squirrels. VERY noisey animals whether being attacked or not. I shoot any greys if I can at any time, they are a nuisance that needs to be controlled. Now what would you rather? A shot, then if alive the dog dispatches and retrieves? or you try to find where it has gone, hoping you can find it to end its suffering? I suggest the dog you saw in the park was not a breed that is designed for vermin dispatch, YES that is cruel and shouldnt be allowed, furthermore IMO that dog was NOT under control.

Dogs dont "need" to hunt, fair comment, but do they need to jump over sticks? round up Sheep? do competitive obedience, "dance" with their owners? Working Dogs provide a service, they are tools for a job, a necessity for humane control of vermin species. Or perhaps we should trap, gas, poison, snare???
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I am, in general, anti hunting.

However, if control is necessary I would rather a well-trained dog that is equipped to do the job quickly, cleanly and humanely and a handler who shows the quarry respect.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by PrincessPooch View Post
The squirrel was screaming it's head off, the dog was flinging it around all over the place, there was nothing, I mean NOTHING humane about the killing of this squirrel at all.
Just a philosophical point - dogs don't act 'humanely'. Only humans have that capacity.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 03:16 PM
i've not got a problem with it.

nor any hunting. its how a lot of people ate years ago, before tesco's.

its instinct to hunt.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4