Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 12:15 PM

Carpet Fresheners

Does anyone know if these spray on fresheners cause allergies to or are toxic to dogs?

Thanks in advance.
xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't use any carpet freshners, get some bicarb and sprinkle it on the carpet, leave it for about an hour then vacuum up. I then use dog grooming sprays so my house smells of baby powder lol!
Becky
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 12:25 PM
We've got a dry one we sprinkle on the carpet when we hoover that is pet friendly called Carpet Fresh. We get it from Morrisons and it's really good.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I wouldn't use any carpet freshners, get some bicarb and sprinkle it on the carpet, leave it for about an hour then vacuum up. I then use dog grooming sprays so my house smells of baby powder lol!
Becky
Thanks Becky - I tried that once but only left it on for about 10 mins because I got impatient . I never thought of grooming sprays - excellent idea, I will try that!

Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
We've got a dry one we sprinkle on the carpet when we hoover that is pet friendly called Carpet Fresh. We get it from Morrisons and it's really good.
Thanks Wufflehoond - you haven't noticed any allergies or anything? I do worry about using stuff as well because of the epilepsy, just in case.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I would definitely avoid that one called I think shake and vac( the one with the irritating song in the adverts) as I have heard many reports of this causing allergic reactions(mainly skin ones) I would do the bicarb one if the carpets really stink, I don't personally spray carpets but do spray furniture with febreeze and had no side effects with my lot.having said that non suffer with epilepsy

Mo
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks Wufflehoond - you haven't noticed any allergies or anything? I do worry about using stuff as well because of the epilepsy, just in case.[/quote]

No problems at all with it and we've been using it for a long time. I've just dug out the container and it's 'House Keepers Carpet Freshener for pet lovers' It has a pictures of a cat and a dog on the the front of it. It's dirt cheap too about 49 pence I think.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I've heard of bad reactions to Febreeze, I know a couple of people on here have used it with no problems, but I would say to avoid it just to be on the safe side.
I agree with Becky, bicard is great, you can leave it on over night.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Michelle doesn't put any chemicals on our carpets at all, as she just washes all the downstairs carpets once a week.

Having six short haired black 'n' tans you can imaging the state the carpets can get in, so after she has hoovered she just gets out the Brush 'N' Wash machine and away she goes.

I think it takes her about an hour to do, but I'm never here when she does it as I choose to take the dogs out for a run just in case she asks me to help and do some sort of housework.

This is what she has got.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Most of mine are ok but Dice's feet go all pink and itchy so we dont use anything at all, I washed the floor with Cromassol discinfectant and it set him off.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I have to say it's far easier to get rid of the carpets and have some sort of solid flooring and use rugs that can be shoved in the washing machine!
Becky
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >