View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Just a quick update. Things have been plodding along here am doing ok at the moment though have had a bad past week just work getting me down and stuff like that but I have managed to be away from home for a couple of nights and had a good time, and also went out one weekend here went for a meal and to the pub afterwards which is humungous steps here.

Have been actively trying to get a new job as truly believe part of the problem is work, and I have an appointment with a clinical psychologist next week?

Anyone been to a clinical psychologist? What does it entail? What do they do?

Hope you are all well

Lynne
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Anyone been to a clinical psychologist? What does it entail? What do they do?
Yes, and it was possibly the most productive thing I've ever done, at least in terms of getting to grips with why I am the way I am.

It involved a lot of talking, a lot of long silences, answering a lot of questions, and certainly in my case, a lot of tears. I went once a week for over a year. Don't confuse, as many do, a clinical psychologist with a psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist can sometimes be a little too quick to provide a medical prescription to solve the mental ills. A psychologist, on the other hand, will aim to give you explanations as to why you are the way you are, why you do what you do, and, in many cases, show you alternative ways of dealing with your problems. Also, a psychologist usually has much more time to deal with cases.

I would stress that, in my view, the psychologist can only ever be as good as your own honesty will allow them to be. If you have things that you want to hide, then don't bother. If you don't believe that there is a way of dealing with your issues, but you just haven't found it yet, then don't bother. But, if they aren't a problem then it's possibly one of the most enlightening things you can do to help yourself. If I needed to, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

As for going out to the pub and a meal -- well done. Some people may look at that line while scratching their head, wondering what the fuss is about. However, you and I both know, it's a mammoth-sized step and one you should be incredibly pleased with. Just remember to try and build upon it, and somehow demand a little more from yourself next time. It doesn't have to be a huge extra step -- maybe being the one to order drinks from the bar or something. It all adds up.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Yes, and it was possibly the most productive thing I've ever done, at least in terms of getting to grips with why I am the way I am.

It involved a lot of talking, a lot of long silences, answering a lot of questions, and certainly in my case, a lot of tears. I went once a week for over a year. Don't confuse, as many do, a clinical psychologist with a psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist can sometimes be a little too quick to provide a medical prescription to solve the mental ills. A psychologist, on the other hand, will aim to give you explanations as to why you are the way you are, why you do what you do, and, in many cases, show you alternative ways of dealing with your problems. Also, a psychologist usually has much more time to deal with cases.

I would stress that, in my view, the psychologist can only ever be as good as your own honesty will allow them to be. If you have things that you want to hide, then don't bother. If you don't believe that there is a way of dealing with your issues, but you just haven't found it yet, then don't bother. But, if they aren't a problem then it's possibly one of the most enlightening things you can do to help yourself. If I needed to, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Thank you, Thats kind of what I was hoping to hear!

Although things have been a bit better for me recently I am sure it is the medication, and I don't want to be on medication forever I want to learn coping strategies and to understand if there is a reason why things have the impact or effect on me that they do. I don't want to overanalyse eberything just find out what can be done to improve and I am sure there has to be something.

I am a bit anxious about going to see her (must be the illness ) and I have started to write doe#wn the way I feel about things that worry me and what I do at present so that I can have it all to hand if she does ask rather than turn into a blubbering mess (which I am prone to doing!!) My letter says to allow at least an hour for my appointment. So I was pleased with that as I do tend to get emotional when discussing stuff and often feel like I am "holding up" my doctor.

I also wasnt sure about the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist or even if there was one!! So am glad you were able to tell me about your experiences. Hopefully it will let me see things in a different way or even just to recognise things and stop or at least reduce the avoidance techniques I have put in place myself.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-10-2007, 03:34 PM
It sounds like you are at a good stage to start psychotherapy. The drugs are serving to take the edge off things, which will allow you to get to the psychologist's office in the first place.

That's pretty much how I did things and it's pretty much worked for me. Like an alcoholic, I don't think you're ever really 'cured' in the true sense. You just, as you identified, learn coping strategies, and acceptance of yourself and your 'quirks'.

Without the psychologist I wouldn't know what cues to look out for next time I get to critical point. Now I do and so I'm able to just lessen my load, take a break, and whatever else I need to do to look after me. In essence, you have to learn to be a little selfish.

Good luck with it. I'm sure you're doing the right thing.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks GSD Lover You know doubt will get updates on here
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16