Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 06:42 PM

Panic and anxiety

Hi all
Thought i would start a new thread rather than hijack Jules1's thread about Kalms.

For those of you reading this who havnt read that, i am at a place I'd rather not be just now!! Suffering from General Anxiety disorder and panic attacks (4 or 5 in last 6 weeks) The panic is the worst. Real fear, like terror that I will lose control or die (and I have read all the stuff so I know what my body is doing re adrenaline and things) my heart beats so fast I sweat andget really hot and my legs visibly tremble, I have to get out of wherever I am. It is horrible

And when not actually experiencing one I worry constantly about the next one. It really is a horrible thing. And I dont really know how to cope . I am very tearful and short tempered all the time and so exhausted it is unreal.

Doc has prescribed me propanolol, diazepam and effexor. The side effects of effexor even after 6 weeks are awful and he just upped the dose

And I dont like the diazepam.

The propanolol ok but not sure it makes any difference.

Any thoughts ideas advice greatly welcomed

Thanks
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Is there any thing you can say is the trigger that brings on the panic attacks?
My mum has them now and again, nothing like yours, she gets out of breath then panics, which in turn makes it worse.
Have you tried other ways of controlling it other than meds?
Maybe the med's your taking isn't suiting you, have to spoke to your doctor about alternatives that may help.
I hope you get it all under control or at least more managable it can't be nice.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I know exactly how you feel. It is so bad and you really can't explain it to anyone can you. People say to me well what are you afraid of. And I just don't know so how can I explain. I have had it for years now. My counsellor once said to me remember no-one dies of a panic attack and that really helped. Unfortunately I was put on Seroxat as at the time they were supposed to be non addictive but they are now known to be highly addictive and needless to say I am addicted have tried many times over the years to come off them and failed even with help from a doctor so whatever you are given do not accept seroxat. There are many other meds that can help you its just a matter of finding the right one. Can you see a counsellor I found mine brilliant she moved me forward a lot to where I was. Relaxation exercises also help. You are not alone in this there are hundreds in the same place. Anxiety is hard to explain. I don't even know what triggered mine off. I hope you are feeling better soon.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Is that the problem? finding what is the trigger and learning how to deal / cope with it.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 08:11 PM
If you can find what triggered it you are half way there. This is where a counsellor helps, just talking to someone outside your usual friends and family you really can say anything to them. I think she has found mine and as it was something that happened long before the attacks I just can't get my head around it. I just keep thinking why now not then. Our minds are a very complex thing. I think mine gets overloaded sometimes.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks Leo and Heather and Zak,

Believe it or not I was anxious noone would reply!!!

How MAD is that

I think the difficult thing Leo, is that if you have a fear of flying or spiders or whatever then you can avoid situations where that is likely and youcan say to people " I am scared of...." and people can relate Everyone has a fear right??

But I have no idea what bringson my panic and when not panicing I spend my time feeling anxious about the next attack. I told the doctor I didnt like nedicine he had prescribed and he basically said well you came for advice and I have given you my advice. I went to see a different doc last week who said my choices wer medication (as previously prescribed) or no medication and just ride it out )

But if I am on my own when the panic hits it is only a matter of time before I dial 999 as it is SOOOOO scary. And as Heather and Zak says I have NO idea what ny fear is of. Just now I feel claustrophobic in busy open spaces (yeah I know how is that possible) it hits me like a real deep rooted inner fear - Horrible.

I have tried hypnotherapy and currently listen to meditation and self hypnoisis tapes. I have also tried EFT (which is loosley based on accupuncture) and I have consulted a homeopath!! I am running out of ideas.

It was SO bad about a few weeks/months ago I couldnt cross the door, someone had to walk Ben. And that is just NOT on!! He is my responsibility. So I got stressed about that and gee Cry, I've cried a thousand rivers!!! I have no idea what causes/triggers these inexplicable feelings all I know is I want them to stop. For basically 6 months I became a recluse...I was scared to post in case noone wanted to hear see what I had to share (how mad and irrational is that!!)

Am back at work as of last week but not sure I am coping.

Anyway enough of my rambling thanks for your replies

x
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
If you can find what triggered it you are half way there. This is where a counsellor helps, just talking to someone outside your usual friends and family you really can say anything to them. I think she has found mine and as it was something that happened long before the attacks I just can't get my head around it. I just keep thinking why now not then. Our minds are a very complex thing. I think mine gets overloaded sometimes.

Doc says there is an 18 month waiting list for counsellors.

Seriously hope I am better by then. But I do agree that it probably is somethingfrom my past, I have no idea what, but I have had a few ups and downs as has everyone ...hmmmm so why cant I cope!!!!

I dont know how else to get a counsellor except doc???

Thanks again
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Which triggers the panic, it is strange how some thing that happened years ago can affect us years later.
I wonder if because your couldn't handle it then, it get's locked away, then if you feel the same as you did the panic hits.
From what i understand it doesn't even have to be the same senerio to set it off.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Try not to worry too much you are doing well if you are out and about even if you are not happy about it. I spent 3 weeks not being able to look out of the window at the world outside. Now how MAD is that. See lots of us are strange. Don't be afraid to share your feeling on here it helps to talk to people going through the same things.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2007, 08:19 PM
1st please don't think you can't come on here and post.
Although i may not experience the same things as you both do, i am happy to listen.
You can't help how you feel, even if theres no logic behind it.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »