Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Moli View Post
I tell mine to "Go and lie down" but its not a punishment, its usually because they are under my feet!
Ditto
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Interesting replies here. There is a significant difference between night time 'bed' and the daytime 'bed'

Georgie does not sleep upstairs. He has a dog bed in the living room which he sleeps in all night. Ive never had a problem with him crying for me etc. He spends most of his sleep during the day on the sofa, unless its a bit busy with the kids or its noisey in here he will take himself to his bed.

Ive never told him to get in his bed, and i cant see there ever being a reason why i would say it to him. If hes getting under my feet, or hes too over excited i tell him to go away. He then goes and sits on the bottom step of the stairs and give me the puppy dogs eyes!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Max has a bed in the kitchen (where he sleeps at night) and a cushion in front of the fire for daytimes/evening snoozes.

We tell him to "go to bed" but not usually as a punishment... its more if we want him out of the way!

If we tell him off generally he will slink over to whichever bed is nearer and lay there sighing and foofing at us with huge eyes.

If we are upstairs he generally gets on our bed anyway...
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2006, 02:15 PM
I've always believed the dog bed to be "out of bounds" for me.

If and when the dog wants to go into it, it will. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exist. While I think like that, I can't tell her to get into it, etc. Nor will I ever ask anything of the dog while it's in it. I just consider it as a 100% comfort-zone for the dog.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I say "bed" when its time for bed, never as a punishment or even to get them out of the way. If they are in the kitchen and I am busy I say "out" and they sit by the door looking in and if they are in my way I say "move" and they go and lie somewhere else, this command is usually used when they take comfort at the top of the stairs . Although like Steve have had a few troubles with the "bed" command, Zuki thinks our bed is better than hers
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I totally agree with GSD LOVER above, its the dogs comfort zone.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3