Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
I'm afraid I like my meat. In an ideal world, I would raise my own, but I'd probably get too attached anyway, and not be able to eat it.

snap!..................
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Katrina342
I don't believe that factory farming - which is the basis of most meat products, and let's face it, most dairy products - is humane.
I must disagree with this. Very little in the UK is factory farmed. Poultry/pork is the exception unfortunately , however to say lamb, beef & dairy is factory farmed is absolute rubbish!!!!!!
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by cumbriandoglover
I must disagree with this. Very little in the UK is factory farmed. Poultry/pork is the exception unfortunately , however to say lamb, beef & dairy is factory farmed is absolute rubbish!!!!!!
Thanks for the correction: I take your point .

Replace 'factory' with 'intensive and stress-inducing'.

Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2006, 03:17 PM
I love seafood, eat chicken and sometimes pork or beef but not very often. Hubby is a huge meat eater and of course having kiddies who eat meat too BUT I am a real fusspot about what I serve up, it has to be fresh meat no minced up fish or mixed meat burgers etc. I prefer to buy local and support our local farmers. Anyway the kids have great fun helping make their own burgers etc and it makes me feel better knowing it is good produce I am feeding them.
willow_pheonix
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2006, 06:51 PM
I was vegitarian for from the age of 12 until 27. I took the decision to eat meat again after i split from my son'd dad, money was tight so it was a case of eating what he did but it took me 3 months to actually cook the chicken i had bought for myself. I tend to buy organic now but i can't see me going veggie again now
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Bodhi
I'm afraid I like my meat. In an ideal world, I would raise my own, but I'd probably get too attached anyway, and not be able to eat it.
Try farm shops/local small butchers Bodhi for locally raised animals.If i want a genuine freerange chicken,i get one from a farmer on way home from work where i can see them,but i do have to pluck & gut it though.The freerange eggs i buy from there also did once taste of onion cause the chickens escaped into his onion field!

I shoot also and to cook something which i have taken from the countryside has in my opinion had a better life than something which has been reared in a shed.Some may not like what i do,but atleast i know what im eating and where it came from.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I shoot also and to cook something which i have taken from the countryside has in my opinion had a better life than something which has been reared in a shed.Some may not like what i do,but atleast i know what im eating and where it came from.
I'm a veggie but I'd rather someone caught and cooked a free animal like this than bought a battery reared one which probably had a much more unpleasant life and death.
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

07-03-2006, 11:22 AM
I love meat.... I also enjoy shooting....I have not done for a few years cause I sold my gun (stupidily!!!)when I moved to nursing college when i was younger , but used to go shooting...there is nothing better than eating what you have shot yourself......I am sorry if this offends people, but this is what we do and what I have been raised with.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 11:50 AM
I Luurrrve meat I love steak ..really rare
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 11:52 AM
i eat meat, although was vegetarian for about 3 years in my teens and have to say although I try and buy organic and from farms - i dont always.

However i have to say I find it incredibly hypocritical of people who say that they hate the way that animals are reared and then have a problem with shooting/killing their own food . ie: the uproar about gordon ramsay and jamie oliver openly killing animals on their shows - yes it was incredibly upsetting to watch - but surely thats the point - if more people did actually think about where their produce comes from that woudl be much better.

My aunt runs a farm in italy and I always feel far better about eating meat on her farm than anywhere else as I know that all the animals have had a happy life up until the point of their death. The chickens rabbits and lambs all run freely in the property.

I would perhaps be more inclined to be veggie again if OH would do it as to be honest its too much hassle to cook seperate meals. I never ever buy processed food though - so all meat we eat is pure meat rather than anything else.

I have also just discovered a home delivery service from the local farm for organic vegetables and free range eggs so have placed my first order in for that .
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >