Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2019, 12:35 PM

Cold pressed puppy food kibble - advice needed, please

Having lost my beloved dog to cancer, I'm getting a cockapoo puppy next month and want the best food possible (but not raw). After much research, it appears that cold pressed kibble is healthier than even the top quality dry extruded brands. However, most cold pressed is for all life stages. I 'phoned Gentle, & was told that giving puppies more food than adults would make up for any nutrititional deficiency for puppies, which I don't feel very happy with this.

With one exception, all producers use dried chicken, etc. meal. As this involves high temperatures, it seems to me to defeat the objective of very low cooking temperatures.

The exception to this is Tribal TLC, who use fresh human grade meat, not dried. They also do a puppy version. They guarantee that 98% of ingredients are not heated above 95 degrees, but this is high compared to other producers, who claim about 45 degrees (not counting the heat for the ground meat meal)

I've read that the average shelf-life for cold pressed is about 6-9 months - the shorter time indicating how natural it is. The Tribal one, however, has a shelf-life of 15 months, which puts me off a bit, but I'm still leaning towards this one.

I'd be grateful for any advice regarding these anomalies - especially regarding the suitable for all life stages bit.

I was also considering Butternut Box home cooked dog food (I'd do it myself but would worry about lack of nutrients). Don't think they do a puppy version either and it's finding the freezer space.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2019, 03:18 PM
In my experience Cockerpoo's love anything fishy. Maybe have a look at Eden dog food or just a simple Salmon and Potato dog food from Fergusons They will send samples for you to try.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-04-2019, 04:21 PM
If you were feeding raw you feed nothing different to a puppy than an adult dog.
In a large breed we feed 4 times until around 6 months then 3 times daily till a year old. dividing their daily quota between 4 meals.
You would feed 2 to 3% of their weight.

So feeding a cold pressed food appropriate to their weight and energy levels would be no different to feeding raw.

My Bernese whether on raw, cold pressed or wet is fed 8 0zs in the morning and evening not including a chicken neck raw in the morning probably an ounce just over and a raw sardine in the evening possibly 1.5 oz to 2 oz. He is nearly 7.5 and has low energy levels now.
He weighs around 65kgs, he also gets treats on walks and during the day.

Cold pressed food is dense and they should not need as much as a normal kibble but bear in mind your puppy will be growing.
I think the best way to go with any food is to watch how much weight they do or do not put on and how they deal with the food as in growing well expected energy for that breed while a puppy and an adult not lethargic or hyper.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2019, 04:34 PM
As a rule puppies eat twice as much as an adult. Your breeder should give you guidelines and it does depend who was the mum and who was the dad. What size poodle.
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2019, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice and explaining why the pup won't need a specific puppy food, which is very useful. There are well over a 1,000 5 star reviews on TrustPilot for the home cooked meals from Butternut Box, so I'm leaning more towards that now than cold pressed kibble.

Everyone thinks I'm paranoid and bonkers to be so fussy, but I am so devastated at losing my wonderful dog that I want to do everything I can to help this new puppy be healthy and be with me as long as possible - but, of course, there are no guarantees.

Brenda - the mum's a show cocker and the dad's a miniature poodle
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Quite understand I am very fussy what i feed my dog after losing one at 41/2 in 2002 to T.cell lymphoma.
So many good foods out there now whether the good quality wet foods or cold pressed or what you are looking into the freshly prepared and cooked like Butternut box.
Good luck with your new puppy and as you say no guarantees but reassuring to know we are doing our best.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Going to be quite a nice size then? Love to see a pic when you get him/her. I know how you feel about losing. Lost my beautiful boy last October and tears are never far away. Enjoy your new pup. Hope it helps to have the patter of tiny paws again.x Where are you getting your pup from? Always interested to see what is out there.