View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2017, 11:57 AM
An adrenaline fuelled dog (ie one that spots a cat/another dog/squirrel etc etc) will run through the shock barrier.

When the adrenaline lowers, he won't break that barrier to get back in.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Somewhat related..........
A long, long time ago in a far away place - well, on the farm where I grew up - we sometimes had a temporary electric fence.

One day when I was walking home I grabbed it. Sort of macho thing boys do. How long can you hold on to it. Right hand holding the fence and my left dangling by my side.

So the dog poked his nose into my left hand and we both got one helluva belt. I was wearing wellies, the dog was in his bare feet in the wet grass. Hence the terrifying shock.

He took off home faster than a speeding bullet. He was nervous for a bit but got over it. But not something I'd want to repeat.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Is there a 'not' missing?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
Is there a 'not' missing?
Thanks - fixed.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2017, 03:40 PM
You're welcome.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
An adrenaline fuelled dog (ie one that spots a cat/another dog/squirrel etc etc) will run through the shock barrier.

When the adrenaline lowers, he won't break that barrier to get back in.
I had a Dutch Warmblood horse like that! He was cut late and when the mares were in season, the livery yard would move them behind an electric fence. Bugle would blast through the pain to get to the mares every time, trailing bits of wire fencing behind him!
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Like many things if used Correctly there effective and a decent tool.

Problem is 99% of the people who get them do zero training with the dog and do not set them correctly.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2017, 07:29 PM
So how do you use one correctly?
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
So how do you use one correctly?
Will give a full reply to this when I get off work.

But it is far from bury a wire and put a shock collar on a dog.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Ops did not relies this was tech meeting day have a little extra time.

First off it is not a let the dog out unsupervised tool, so no it is not like a horse going through a electric fence or your dog goes through after a squirrel so it can't get back in.

There are white flags that you outline where the fence is, these are a visual for your dog, the collar buzzes or ticks according to how close the dog gets, it gets louder the closer the dog gets. these can be generally set for 1ft to 6ft according to the type of collar and base unit you by.

You are supposed to train your dog that ticking sound means to back away, (this training is generally advised to be done for about 3 months.)

Cost wise I can do a acre for around 100 US dollars or 93 Euro, my fencing cost me 10 times that. (This does not include base unti cost which run 100 to 300 dollars, a good unit is going to be on the upper end, still less than half price of my fence).

Collars come with different prong types and sizes for coat type, (got to use the right one).

There not the electric chair you must set the voltage correctly, yep that means testing it on yourself, put it in the palm of your hand prongs touching, should be worse touching your tongue to a battery than the shock you get, from entering the field where voltage is active.
(It is met to be a physical reminder and get the dogs attention to the ticking or buzzing sound if you have a dog that fixates and ignores the world when it sees a cat or squirrel. Yes voltage increases as the dog gets closer to the line.)

Get the right size collar for you dog, They make them for chi size to mastiff size. highly doubt a chi could move the one built for a dog the size of mine, and the highest setting on a chi's mine would barely notice.

If you own a high prey drive dog (Do not get one) waste of money.

Generally with Mastiff breeds I would not recommend one since there stubborn and have extremely high pain tolerance, (they will go though it just because it is a challenge).

As I stated it is a tool not a quick fix to put your dog out unsupervised.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >