View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2015, 11:32 PM
You ultimately have decide what you're going to do with this situation. But I can share my experience from many years ago. I moved in with someone. He had a middle aged spoiled Beagle. This dog would pee on carpets and his owner would clean it up while telling the dog in baby talk it was okay. The dog would try to push me out of bed and insisted on sleeping sideways on the people pillows every night...and this was a fat dog. Once again his owner had always slept with him like that, so it was just ducky with him.

He knew I had cats from the beginning. When we moved in he started coming up with rules for the cats. He felt it was his house so he could call the shots. He decided no cats in the bedroom, only his dog. Strike one. Then he would laugh instead correcting the dog for chasing cats. Strike two. I had an elderly cat who had peeing accidents sometimes. His dog peeing was okay, but my cat peeing on the carpet was an outrage. Strike three and we were out of there by the weekend.

I realized if his dumb beast was so important to him and realizing my cats were my babies and this was not going to work ever...Then again it took me a long time to realize this guy was schmuck, dog or no dog. You have a lot of thinking to do darlin'. But stay safe...the beagle never growled at me, it feared me, good thing too I would have put his nose on upside down. But keep yourself safe somehow.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by kimmie91 View Post
Okay not sure where to start. I appreciate a lot of the comments and not others. I can understand yes he is a crated dog of course this is unfair etc. BUT this is not my desicion this is how the dog lived before I met my partner. He has always been crated whilst my partner is away from the house at work etc. This is how he has always known and always been. I feel like I habe given the dog a lot more since coming into the house which is why I dont understand with getting out more and more social and interaction how he is getting worse. I Bringing my dog into the house hasn't changed these habits much just more frequently. I have done all I am capable of doing to try and resolve this. At first I couldn't walk the dog as it is far to strong for me and pulls me over. Then ive been off work due to ill health. Getting better I bought a cross over nose attachment for the collar so this dog is able to have one 15 min walk each day with me now. Thankfully ive managed to get this far! Both dogs are absolutely fine with each other. Thanks dibby the dog. Im not on the Isle of Man now I need to change profile haha. So nice of all your opinions but please dont drag me down for trying good on a dog. I am trying my best as I would never let my own live in a cage. Im not stupid just stuck and helpless :/
What is the dogs name? Does your partner exercise the dog at all? would he be prepared to pull his weight if you wanted to follow any advice offered?
Would he be prepared to consult a qualified behaviourist ?

When you are in the house is the dog kept in the kitchen all the time except when you walk him?

Sorry for all the questions but it helps with big picture so we can offer advice that will hopefully help you.

You're in a difficult position its not your dog but you are having to make decisions about it and you trying to improve his situation but you dont have full health.

About his behaviour worsening, This is a major change in his life, even one for the better can cause anxiety or over excitement which makes him more hyper. he's also getting told off by two people now instead of one so that adds to it.

Perhaps each time you let him out of the crate or kitchen you could take him straight out into the garden , afters he's been to the toilet , you could play with him with a ball or do things like hide treats and get him to search for them , you could also do agility, you can buy a tunnel etc form pet at home. I do this with my dogs and you dont need to be that mobile to do it.

This sort of things gives him purpose and uses up his energy and gets him to focus on you .
You can also do basic training as well.
Indoors you can use kongs and puzzles to keep him occupied and things to chew to help him settle. Chewing helps calm dogs.
A soft harness and a lead will help you keep him under control while you are indoors and stop him jumping on counters. Preventing him from doing things in the first place helps towards breaking the habit.

Just some ideas here , hope it helps.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2