Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hedwig
New Member!
Female 

04-07-2015, 07:12 AM

Ideas for clicker classes please!

Hi everyone! Really hope you lovely people can help me

Basically I am going to start offering clicker classes but I'm looking for ideas for format/content etc.

To give you an idea of what I've for so far:

The first class will be without dogs. I will go over the what/when why etc of clickers, why they work, how they work etc. the rules. Treats to use etc.

I then have ideas for exercises to learn timing. The clients will be split into pairs. They will be teaching each other various things. We'll go over the importance of keeping the clicker still, and distinct from other body movements, and treat delivery/placement.

I think I've got all the basics covered. It's been harder than I thought to arrange a lesson plan that gives them all the info they need - whilst not getting TOO wordy and blinding them with science!

But please - tell me about your clicker classes; whether they're classes you teach or ones you attend. What sort of things do you cover? What exercises do you find people pick up easiest? Do you have a plan of exercises or are there gaps where people can work on what they want? Do you do beginner/int/advanced? Do people do a block of beginner, then move up etc? Do people need a basic understanding of training before doing such a class?

Any and all tips/observations would be very gratefully received! I've taught people to use a clicker - with various animals - before, with great success on a 1-1 basis. I'm clicker obsessed and can't wait to show people its power.

Just want to hear ideas/experiences on how to make my classes the best I can

Thank you in advance!
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2015, 08:38 AM
How do people with tow dogs use clickers ? Something Ive never mastered , as you click because one does good the other hears and thinks its for them!

How do you deal with dogs who are scared of the clicker.? I have one of those too. At the sound of the clicker he would shoot off and refuse to come out of hiding.

I found the only clicker class I went to ,too preachy..
Hedwig
New Member!
Female 

06-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dorrit View Post
How do people with tow dogs use clickers ? Something Ive never mastered , as you click because one does good the other hears and thinks its for them!

How do you deal with dogs who are scared of the clicker.? I have one of those too. At the sound of the clicker he would shoot off and refuse to come out of hiding.

I found the only clicker class I went to ,too preachy..
Hi Dorrit, thanks for your reply!

As to training two - or more - dogs, yes it is possible. They do learn when the click is "for them". Kikopup on youtube has a video on precisely this subject and explains it all very thoroughly. Highly recommend her

Noise sensitive dogs can still be marker trained. It's possible to get clickers with a volume control; or you could have the clicker in your pocket to muffle the sound. Or use the click of a ballpoint pen. Or use a verbal marker. Or a tongue click. Any sound can be used as a marker

If you can spare the time I'd be really grateful if you could expand on what you mean by "too preachy"? Hearing about people's bad experiences with clicker classes is every bit as helpful as good ones!