Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zara's dad
New Member!
Male 

19-06-2015, 01:46 AM

Messy water drinker

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and new to forums. My name is Bob and my 8 month European Golden is Zara. I love her to death but she has one problem or bad practice that is going to get someone hurt.

I was hoping to get some advice on how to work through her issue. I'm sure with time a d patience we can break her of this bad habit.

We've had Zara since she was 8 weeks old. But it seems like she never learned to drink water. She plays with it and chews it rather than lap and swallow. We have a big 3 gal dispenser attached to a water bowl. Tonight she had her head stuck up into the dispenser and it actually sounded like she was trying to blow bubbles.

She's really very smart. She is getting very good at the little maze games my wife buys and unfortunately has taught herself how to open doors. She just can't drink water.

So on to my point. The issue I'm having is she walks away from the bowl with a mouth full of water. She then drips the water all over the ceramic tiled kitchen floor. Back and forth, back and forth and next thing I know I have a flood on my floor.

It's so bad she has slipped and fallen on the floor. I keep trying to wipe it up with towels. But its constant. My wife yells at me if I take her water away. My wife and I are both in our mid 60's and I'm worried my wife is going to slip and hurt herself.

Does anyone have NY suggestion at all on how to get this dog to drink like a dog?

Thank you in advance for your help

Bob
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Hi Bob
Maybe try giving Zara water from a regular bowl.Been reading comments online from others about those dispensers.Mostly good comments but there are a few on there saying much the same as you about the mess.Some dogs seem to be to busy keeping an eye on the dispenser while drinking and others appear to be afraid of it.Just a thought and maybe worth a go
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2015, 10:44 PM
I think I might try a non spill water bowl. ie one that is larger at the base than at the top. If she is still messy with this, you could place it on a towelling bath mat.