Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cathy C
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2015, 10:17 AM

Nervous Border Collie

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for wee bit of advice. Our two year old Border Collie Alfie has always been nervous wee dog, but after being scared out on his walk few days ago by loud car exhaust back firing, he now won't go out for a walk. I'ts so upsetting as he usually loves his walks and his run in the park. Any help would be appreciated
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Welcome to Dogsey
Sorry your having problems with your boy Can imagine that noise must have been pretty scarey for him.Was wondering how he is around other dogs?
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2015, 04:52 PM
I hope other posters can give you advice on this topic, I could use it as well. I'm sure there are ways to train past fears in a younger dog. Our Sophie is a senior now and afraid of so very many things.
Example is one night we did a favorite walk past the drugstore. They were unloading a truck and dropped a carton onto a metal loading dock...she made it back onto the sidewalk before she shut down completely, bent over and tail between legs trembling and frozen.
Sixty pounds of pup I couldn't carry her home but hubby came and got us. Now I don't walk her near there anymore. You don't want your pup to grow that neurotic. There are effective training methods. Good luck!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Could Alfie possibly be coaxed out with some extra yummy treats in your pocket, say a couple of sausages. Maybe start again when it's quieter on the roads and show him his ball and treats. Maybe start off in the garden, if you have one, then proceed out the front. Sorry if you've tried this already. I hope Alfie can overcome his nerves.
Cathy C
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2015, 11:13 AM
He is fine with most dogs, wants to run over and play
Cathy C
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2015, 11:14 AM
He is getting bit better last few days, but still needs coaxing to get him out the door
Cathy C
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Tried the treats thing, but the problem is he's never been interested in treats when he is out on his walk or up at the park lol, so that didn't work. He has been bit better last couple of days, so hopefully we are on the right track
Cathy C
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2015, 11:16 AM
Thank you. I will post pic of wee Alfie once I figure out how to do it lol
Eze moo
New Member!
Female 

29-05-2015, 12:58 PM
oh nothing worse, so hard trying to get a nervous dog back on track,keep trying good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >