View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2014, 12:10 PM
I used to buy these for my mum when she was living with us and couldn't get around much, but she always managed to get up to get water for her beloved orchid. She always kept hers on the windowsill in her room, which got all the afternoon/evening sun, but was cool in the mornings. She only watered it about once a week and not too much either just like the others have said. They never, ever died on her, unlike me who was given a beautiful one on my birthday last September and it lasted all of 2 weeks!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2014, 12:23 PM
I think the longest I've ever had one was a month, I carefully pick the healthiest looking specimens, definitely don't over water. I originally bought one because it didn't need constant watering. I dunno what it is, my conservatory is too hot so they don't go out there. I usually put them in the lounge but maybe it's not bright enough cos it has the conservatory on the back. My dining room is quite bright with a really deep window sill in the bay but I have a statue sitting there so a plant would ruin the look of it. No windowsills in the kitchen just French doors, maybe I'll try again and put it in my bedroom next time. Either that or stick to cacti, I have a cactus in the conservatory that hasn't been watered in about a year and is doing fine, shame it's covered in cats hairs
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Trouble,are you forgetting to talk to them? give them a name?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
I've never had much luck with these but mum and Gill did they had the clear plastic pots you can buy to keep them in something to do with the roots needing light.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-04-2014, 12:34 PM
I talk to myself, the dogs the cats and the parrots, I'm not sure I have the time or the energy to talk to the plants. The parrots do a really good impression of me though so they could talk to the plants but George sometimes turns the air blue which could be the problem. If he tells them to F*** off who can blame them if they do?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I talk to myself, the dogs the cats and the parrots, I'm not sure I have the time or the energy to talk to the plants. The parrots do a really good impression of me though so they could talk to the plants but George sometimes turns the air blue which could be the problem. If he tells them to F*** off who can blame them if they do?

Well,talking to them obviously doesn't work or mine would live
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I've never had much luck with these but mum and Gill did they had the clear plastic pots you can buy to keep them in something to do with the roots needing light.

See I did that too, I had them in a big glass vase thing, cos it looked good, well it did before they died
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Well if nothing else We're keeping the orchid industry alive.
Tbh I treat them like cut flowers now, pretty when you buy them, if they last 2-4 weeks that's longer than most cut flowers so it's no hardship.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-04-2014, 12:41 PM
The see through pots didn't work for me either.

It is the parrots fault.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The see through pots didn't work for me either.

It is the parrots fault.
Most things are
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >