Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Portuguese Water Dog.......

Breed Standard

General Appearance Robust, well balanced, rectangular in outline, very strongly muscled on shoulders. Hard, penetrating and attentive expression.

Characteristics Very intelligent and tremendously energetic ‘fisherman’s dog’ with great swimming and diving traits.

Temperament Pleasant disposition, self-willed but very obedient to owner. Brave and tireless.

Head and Skull Large, well proportioned, skull slightly longer than muzzle, well defined occiput. Muzzle tapers slightly. Forehead has central furrow for two-thirds of length of head, frontal bones prominent. Nose wide, nostrils well open. Black in black, black and white, and white dogs, liver in brown, brown and white, and brown tones.

Eyes Medium, round, set well apart. Black or dark brown with dark eye rims.

Ears Heart shaped, dropped, thin, set well above eye level, held close to head, except at back. Tips not below neck line.

Mouth Scissor bite, jaws strong with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping lower teeth and set square to the jaws, strongly developed canines.

Neck Short, straight, strongly muscled. Carried high, no mane or dewlap.

Forequarters Straight, strong boned and well muscled. Shoulders muscular and well laid. Pasterns long and upright.

Body Length from point of shoulder to point of buttock slightly greater than height at withers. Withers are wide and not prominent. Chest wide and deep, reaching to elbow. Ribs well sprung and carried well back. Short, strong loin. Moderate tuck-up. Croup only slightly inclined.

Hindquarters Straight and very strongly muscled, well angulated, buttocks long and well curved, strong hock, metatarsals long.

Feet Round, rather flat, toes not too long or too knuckled up. Membrane reaching to tip of toes, covered with hair. Central pads very thick.

Tail The tail is a distinctive feature of the breed and should be medium set, thick at base and tapering, not reaching below the hock. When the dog is moving, the tail should be carried gaily, curved above the level of the topline, but not necessarily in a full curve

Gait/Movement Walking, lively short steps. A light trot and energetic gallop.

Coat Profuse, covering whole body except inside the elbows and thighs. Two distinct types, both without undercoats.
(a) Hair fairly long, loosely waved with slight sheen, hair on head erect, ears well feathered.
(b) Hair short, fairly harsh and dense, compact curls, lacking lustre, head hair similar to body, hair on ears somewhat wavy.

Muzzle and entire hindquarters from the last rib clipped. Two thirds of tail clipped from set on.

Colour Black, white, various shades of brown, black and white, brown and white. Skin bluish under black, white, and black and white dogs.

Size Height: dogs: 50-57 cms (191/2-221/2 ins); bitches: 43-52 cms (17-201/2 ins). Weight: dogs: 19-25 kgs (42-55 lbs); bitches: 16-22 kgs (35-48 lbs).

Faults Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Note Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

Figo nearly 4 mths.......

A bit of fun really, he's tucked up due to something big monster he has seen outside...

Enjoy ..........

Malka
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Gorgeous - I wondered where his tail had vanished to but the big monster he had seen outside explains it!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Never get fed up looking at him Jackie! Is that another 'real' dog of yours in the background or is it one of those huge dog statues!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Never get fed up looking at him Jackie! Is that another 'real' dog of yours in the background or is it one of those huge dog statues!
The kids bought me that yrs ago when Bandit was a tiny puppy, it holds a lot of sentiment ..
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Lovely. I once owned one of a big bloodhound but my Cavvy was TERRIFIED of it!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Lovely dog - pity about the bare bottom though!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Lovely dog - pity about the bare bottom though!
Yep,imagine it'd get chilly around the Derriere He is gorgeous
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 12:53 PM
He looks more gorgeous with each photo.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Gorgeous - I wondered where his tail had vanished to but the big monster he had seen outside explains it!
Yes, he pretends to be a brave boy , but heis a wimp really .

Originally Posted by Darcy Boy View Post
He looks more gorgeous with each photo.
Thank you , I am pleased with him.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Yes, he pretends to be a brave boy , but heis a wimp really .

Thank you , I am pleaded with him.
Pleaded? First I thought ... typo.
Then I thought ... no, more likely to be 'Freudian slip' or premonition lol! Seeing a day when you might end up pleading with the norty porty to behave himself!

*just nipped back in to have another look at him!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >