Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2013, 10:38 AM

At last........ I got a new laptop

At long last i got my new laptop. I got a Toshiba Satellite. Taking bit of getting used to as the keyboard is not centred but more on the left

However the downside is that it has Windows 8. I am getting used to it but much prefer other styles of operating systems. For ease of use, Windows 7 was, to me, much better
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
At long last i got my new laptop. I got a Toshiba Satellite. Taking bit of getting used to as the keyboard is not centred but more on the left

However the downside is that it has Windows 8. I am getting used to it but much prefer other styles of operating systems. For ease of use, Windows 7 was, to me, much better
I couldn't agree more!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm sure you will soon get the hang of it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Ooh I love new techie toys!

I remember ACHING to go back to Win XP Pro but have forgotten about it now.

Stay up to date and persevere with the Win8
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post

Helen it is a bit disappointing to get something new and not to be entirely happy with it I hope you enjoy it in time
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2013, 07:07 PM
I've just bought a toshiba satellite laptop as well! a l855 from isme,as a victory over the job centre,mine is win 8 and so far I'm loving it,although it gave me one hiccup the other day, what model is yours?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Harleygjc View Post
I've just bought a toshiba satellite laptop as well! a l855 from isme,as a victory over the job centre,mine is win 8 and so far I'm loving it,although it gave me one hiccup the other day, what model is yours?
Hi, its a C850. I got it from PC World

What sort of hiccup did you have?
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-06-2013, 08:19 AM
erm it's confusing but I was just doing some general browsing and then shut down as normal, but I found the two lights on the front were still on, I couldn't get it to boot back up so I had to remove the battery.

As it rebooted I got a configuring system screen followed by a configuring windows screen,similar to the windows update, after that I was back as normal,no idea why it threw a wobbler though!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Harleygjc View Post
erm it's confusing but I was just doing some general browsing and then shut down as normal, but I found the two lights on the front were still on, I couldn't get it to boot back up so I had to remove the battery.

As it rebooted I got a configuring system screen followed by a configuring windows screen,similar to the windows update, after that I was back as normal,no idea why it threw a wobbler though!
It was just updating itself. Mine has had the configuring screen twice and I queried it. How long did you leave it before taking the battery out? I have found there is a delayed period before the lights turn off, we have a TV the same

Getting more used to it now - what I found strange was the keyboard being more on the left hand side rather than central but then I "type" so perhaps that is why. I don't think I will ever be a Windows 8 fan but getting more used to it as well
Harleygjc
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-06-2013, 09:26 AM
thing was,it wasn't updating as it never gave me any notification that it was doing so otherwise I'd not of tried to shutdown. the power light on mine was flashing which seemed to suggest it was in sleep mode,I gave it about 5 mins before I removed the battery and then I got the config screen,ah well!

I don't mind win 8 it's better than I thought it would be but, I don't find the tile screen is really needed so I use the desktop mode 99% of the time.

I only go mine after I won against the job centre,they had the nerve to stop my jsa for THREE months as they decided I failed to go for a crappy temp job, after I appealed and sent my proof I applied I won and got the money back! I had a shock one day when I logged into my online acct to find over £500 in there! so I decided to celebrate by getting the laptop as I had been thinking about it for a while, they just provide the means to do it.