Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 09:04 AM

Kindle Fire

I have just bought a Kindle Fire HD, so far I am happy with it, easy to set up, all of my books that are on my other Kindle are also on the KF.

I thought we could review KF and maybe help anyone who is thinking of buying one.

I like the crisp display, the fact that you can choose white background, sepia background or black background for reading books, also that you can have it read the text for you, although there would be no inflection so possibly a bit flat.

I have already downloaded a couple of free games, one of them has loads of mind/memory games.

A big bonus I found the search engine and thereby Dogsey, hurrah although I have yet to find out how to enlarge it as text is small, so that is a bonus when OH pinches my laptop!

On the downside it doesn't come with a charger (the port is the same as my previous Kindle so can use that), there is no case so that lovely shiny screen is at risk of scratching, I have found a case that will fit for just under £13 which comes with a stylus, screen protectors and will also prop screen up for watching videos, movies etc so am awaiting delivery.

The other downside is in order to watch films you have to join Love Films which involves a subscription, there is a 30 day free trial (aren't we lucky, they offer this to everyone anyway).

I can't think of anything else but this is my impression after about 1 hour of use.

Feel free to share your views or ask questions, a word of warning a lot of info on the search engines applies to the US and not necessarily the UK.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Bought my oldest lad one for Christmas (he's 42)

Easy to use. He uses it to record films onto so that he can watch them in bed. He copies onto computer then transfers 'em (it keeps him occupied)

If I hadn't got a normal Kindle, I'd definitely go for this one. Easier to read the screen in darker conditions and very easy to navigate.

I was pretty impressed with it
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Can I ask where you found the case for £13 hun , all the ones ive seen are in the £30 region
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
Can I ask where you found the case for £13 hun , all the ones ive seen are in the £30 region
I have ordered if from Amazon (bought the Kindle from Argos with 6months interest free) I have read the reviews for this cheaper version case and they were good. The only thing I didn't like was it is more visible around the edges when open, I was going to get the purple one but thought that colour would be distracting when watching films so ordered black.

The reviews for the leather one were good but some people said they felt man made so went for cheaper man made!
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 10:07 AM
awesome , thanks hun ... just ordered one
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2013, 11:35 AM
I got mine for Christmas, and I love it. I'll probably read a couple of books when I go away but I use it mainly for the internet. the only thing I haven't been able to suss out is how to copy the img codes on photobucket to put photos on the various forums I'm on. so it's back to my phone or the laptop when I want to post pics
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
awesome , thanks hun ... just ordered one
What did you think of the case? I was very happy with mine although the screen protectors are fluff magnets so have given up on those!

I have since ordered an HDMI lead, wasn't very expensive and have tried it on two different tv's with great success, will be able to watch the films on the big screen.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2013, 12:00 PM
I also binned the screen protector , and I dont use the stylus at all , but I love the case
Good value for money I think
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I bought the Kindle Fire HD before Xmas. I LOVE it.. i`ve got 100s of books, mp3s and movies on there. I`ve also downloaded some games (puzzle ones usually) You can also get the app for netflix on the kindle.. free from Amazon. Netflix have far more content to watch.

You make the text on you web browser bigger by using your fingers on one hand to make an open movement on the screen and the opposite to make it small again.

I think the screen quality is excellent.. my only big moan is the battery life 8 or 9 hours or so hours max.. thats the same whether you're playing games or just reading books.
I try to keep mine permanently plugged in when using it at home.

I got my case from Amazon.. £13 or so. Came with stylus and screen protector. My only problem with the case is, you have to keep removing the USB connector to the kindle to open or shut the case.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Can you tell me how you connect to Wifi is it via your computer and a USB socket? or do you have a hub, which is something I do not have.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >