Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Printers

Help! I'm after a reasonably cheap printer which you can get reasonably cheap cartridges for. I have an Epson one, which I have just spent £35 for replacement cartridges, only to find it doesn't work!

I need a scanner for work, so it needs to be one of these ones that does the lot. Wireless would be nice so OH can connect his work laptop. Not bothered about printing photos as I find it just as easy to go somewhere and get them printed.

Any ideas? and whare I can get a good deal from?

Thanks

Helen
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 03:24 PM
i am interested in the response to this as need exactly the same !! although i want one that can print photos - i looked on amazon and there was a good canon wireless for £60 ish which i thought was alright as cartridges were cheap...

currently have an epson and it eats ink and has just stopped working now completely as doesn't recognise the ink even though its all full !!!
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I'v got a epson and the same thing has happened it won't reconise the new inks i bought. So i will also be interested in this thread.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 04:06 PM
We have a Kodak Hero 5.1 wireless which scans, copies and prints. Love it. Was a bit above what we originally wanted to spend, but it is much nicer than my old Epson one.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2012, 04:12 PM
I saw a kodak one when I was looking in PC World and it was billed as the cheapest replacement cartridges. Looked and it was only £5 cheaper. The actual model was £50, which I don't mind spending, if it's going to be a decent printer. I really don't have much luck with printers!

ETA: anyone have any thoughts on the Advent ones from PC World?

Helen
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Whichever printer you get, check first if you can get compatible (non branded) cartridges for them. Epson generally you can`t.
Canon is a good, reliable make and you can get generic cartridges for most models.
I do a lot of printing and I now refill my own cartridges . It works out at less than 50p per cart. It can get messy though so not worth it if you don`t use your printer much.
You might want to get a separate scanner as they are very cheap - because if one goes wrong you don`t have to replace both printer and scanner.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for that. It's getting desparate and I think I'm going to have to buy one tomorrow. Had to make a 30 mile round trip to get 3 letters printed

Will have a quick google about the non branded cartridges. I don't have a great deal of space so a separate scanner might be tricking fitting in! We have to have room for both of us working in the corner of our living room, which isn't big to start off with.

Thanks for your help.

Helen
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I've had a few Epsoms, but the price of the inks made me look elsewhere, and I'm happy with my HP Officejet J4680 all in one which prints, scans, copies and doesn't give me problems nor do I find it difficult to get non branded inks which are cheap.
Allan53
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Also a good reason to get a separate scanner: from what I understand, many combo printer/scanner/whatevers tend to have the annoying tendency to refuse to print if one colour is empty, even if you're not using it. My Brother MFC constantly does this: I usually only print black and white 90% of the time, but I constantly have to shell out $AU50 to replace the colour cartridges every month or so. It adds up pretty quick, as well as being particularly irritating.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 03:25 PM
I finally bought an HP all in one printer, scanner and copier. They have different cartridges for each colour so cheaper to replace them. They are pretty cheap cartridges as well.

Helen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >