Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Midlife Crisis at 25?

Right so my OH has got it into his head that he wants a car - a new one, he's been driving his Dad's scenic for 3 years and now wants a new one.

The scenic offers us the perfect use for a car, not too big, not too small, enough space for dogs, luggage and passengers - depending on the amount/numbers it allows all 3 at the same time. It's quite fuel efficient and overall is a great car. It allows him to get to and from the barracks as well as allowing room for 4 others travelling there and back and all their gear..

So I thought he'd take all this into consideration..

God how wrong was I!

He wants a Ford Mustang. I've managed to talk him out of the 2 seater Corvette though so we're on a 4 seater Mustang now..

BUT WHY!?

It offers 3 passengers, a little boot of which isn't able to take dogs if we have passengers as well as dogs (if we go on holiday) cannot get over speed bumps due to being so low - we live on a road where at one end they have bumps.. isn't fuel efficient.. it's all wrong.

And his reasoning for having one?

So he can live his life whilst he's young - what a cliché!
I'm 19 and I'm living in a house doing more grown up things than what he did at 19, I'm not going down town this weekend and haven't been out for a while because we can't afford it, yet he wants to buy a car that's going to cost a fortune to run and keep - I don't get it!

He reckons he can still keep the Scenic as a run about - for going back and forth, but whats the point in having two cars of which he'll only use at weekends?

Last weekend we were at lunch with his parents and his brother - and when I made a joke - which is now not a joke - that he wasn't having the car, his brother snapped at me and said it was his choice - yes it is his choice, but he has other things to think about now, he's an adult and I think he ought to start thinking like one. His friend has just had a child and he's cut his insurance and everything off his Mustang (probably one of the reasons OH wants one) because he has this responsibility - his Dad now drives it and keeps it in order so that when his daughter is older and they can afford to go back to insuring it then he can have it again..

UGH please tell me I'm not getting annoyed over nothing and that I'm making the sensible points here? And it's a man thing?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2011, 08:53 PM
My other half was not to happy when i lowered my old car,..

He wants an old mustang or the new one??
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 08:55 PM
I think your totally in the right Aimee! If money is tight especially! Dan and I are 20 & 21 and have our own house, practical cars and everything. Most people our age are out clubbing and getting drunk but I think a choice needs to be made, grow up and live as we are or hold on to your "childhood". I wouldn't change my life, as I'm sure you wouldn't . I think this may just be a phase for your OH tbh. Maybe because he's seen a friend with this particular car? He'll probably come to his senses when he realises how impractical it would be? X
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 09:05 PM
From the other end of the spectrum, my hubby is turning 50 this week and i am a few years behind, but we have been together for 30 years next year, and if he is anything to go by it is a man thing!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Heehee what are they like.

We got married and hubby announced he was taking up paragliding as a new hobby and also wanted to change cars, from our audi a4 lovely s line estate to a bmw m....something He can paraglide as much as he liked but I talked him out of the car, he has his aprilia 1000cc something motorbike for going fast.

He also spend a lot longer in the bathroom preening himself since he turned 35.

Deary me...
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
My other half was not to happy when i lowered my old car,..

He wants an old mustang or the new one??
I think it's a 95/96. I'd happily let him have the 2010 one - I like that - but again it's not practical or affordable..

Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
I think your totally in the right Aimee! If money is tight especially! Dan and I are 20 & 21 and have our own house, practical cars and everything. Most people our age are out clubbing and getting drunk but I think a choice needs to be made, grow up and live as we are or hold on to your "childhood". I wouldn't change my life, as I'm sure you wouldn't . I think this may just be a phase for your OH tbh. Maybe because he's seen a friend with this particular car? He'll probably come to his senses when he realises how impractical it would be? X
I'm going to speak to his friend and see if he can perhaps sway him out of it.. we're quite good friends. As it is this friend is getting married next month and the night out that I can't afford to go on this weekend is his future wife's hen do.. He just won't listen to reason and he wonders why I'm quiet or busy when he rings.. I've explained all the above in a calm manner and everything and I'm not getting through to him.. so I'm refusing to talk to him - he wants to be childish I can do the same. I'm going to talk to his Mum - she can talk him in and out of things fairly easy - must learn her secret. Of course she also offers to help him out with things so hasn't really let him become independent..

Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
From the other end of the spectrum, my hubby is turning 50 this week and i am a few years behind, but we have been together for 30 years next year, and if he is anything to go by it is a man thing!
Great - I have to put up with it?

Why can't he do this when he's 30 or 35 or never! I want a lot of things but they're put on hold until a more suitable time..
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Heehee what are they like.

We got married and hubby announced he was taking up paragliding as a new hobby and also wanted to change cars, from our audi a4 lovely s line estate to a bmw m....something He can paraglide as much as he liked but I talked him out of the car.

He also spend a lot longer in the bathroom preening himself since he turned 35.

Deary me...
Oh my OH is always looking in mirrors or any reflective material, I'll be talking to him and he'll turn round to face me but if he catches his reflection on the way to turning round to me, he'll stare whilst moving very slowly - he's done it for ages.. he says he doesn't but he's so vain!

And he's said what else did he have, he doesn't go shooting any more - because he's too tired when he gets home when he's allowed.. when's he going to drive the car then? If he's too tired to go shooting then he can't be well rested enough to drive! He's proper doing my head in.. Now I know why I love Louie so much!

It's be wrong for me to have a tantrum and tell him I'm moving back in with my parents if he carries on with this stupid thing won't it?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Oh my OH is always looking in mirrors or any reflective material, I'll be talking to him and he'll turn round to face me but if he catches his reflection on the way to turning round to me, he'll stare whilst moving very slowly - he's done it for ages.. he says he doesn't but he's so vain!
pmsl i always catch him striking posing in reflective surfaces too when he walks past, like he can't help it, he does that thing with lifting and tilting his chin, cracks me up!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Its not even a nice car ..lol
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
pmsl i always catch him striking posing in reflective surfaces too when he walks past, like he can't help it, he does that thing with lifting and tilting his chin, cracks me up!
Adie does this like hard man pose, sticks out his chest and he does it ever so slight but tenses his biceps if he's caught himself in a big mirror - it's hilarious!

And he does the same sort of sly looking when he's trying to look at another woman whilst he's with me - doesn't stick his chest out or anything, then when I say "I saw that" he'll act as if he's not done anything - same with the catching him looking at himself.. so vain and such a liar.. I can tell though if he really has done it 'cos this smirk appears - only ever so slight..

Oh another thing - we didn't go on Holiday in the summer because we couldn't afford it... we don't have any extra money now so I don't see how we can magically afford another car - in which he doesn't pay for the one we have now - it's his Dad.. who pays for everything except repairs, MOT's and petrol! His Dad has said he's not paying for the scenic if he gets another car because if he can afford his own car then he could afford the scenic months ago.. Yet it's not going through to him.. I might just blank all the car stuff and change the subject..

Grr - so annoyed! If he gets this car I'm getting a sledge hammer to it!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »