Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 07:49 PM

OH might need to move away...

My OH is on a job hunt, after finishing uni. He is struggling to find jobs up here though, and is applying for anything he can... most of them though, are in England

He told me about it when he started applying, but I didn't want to talk about it, since it seemed so far off. He had a telephone interview yesterday though, and has heard from a few other jobs... so, now it is fastly becoming real...

He is at work just now, but has been texting me about it and it has got me so upset. He said we will 'sort it out' and talk about it tomorrow.

I'm just really upset just now... If he does move, then whatever happens, it is going to majorly affect our lives... My sisters partner works in England, and is down there from Mon - Fri and she hates it, and he is desperately trying to find a job up here... but, they seem really thin on the ground up here, England seems to have them all. Seeing how it affects them, makes me feel worse.

I don't know why I am posting this, it's just a wee ramble... I just have no one to talk to...
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Oh hun what a rubbish situation to be in **Hugs** to you.

Maybe if he finds a really good job in england you could move with him?

Dont start thinking negative things, just take each day as it comes and deal with it there and then, you never know whats round the corner

Keep your chin up miss

xxx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
My OH is on a job hunt, after finishing uni. He is struggling to find jobs up here though, and is applying for anything he can... most of them though, are in England

He told me about it when he started applying, but I didn't want to talk about it, since it seemed so far off. He had a telephone interview yesterday though, and has heard from a few other jobs... so, now it is fastly becoming real...

He is at work just now, but has been texting me about it and it has got me so upset. He said we will 'sort it out' and talk about it tomorrow.

I'm just really upset just now... If he does move, then whatever happens, it is going to majorly affect our lives... My sisters partner works in England, and is down there from Mon - Fri and she hates it, and he is desperately trying to find a job up here... but, they seem really thin on the ground up here, England seems to have them all. Seeing how it affects them, makes me feel worse.

I don't know why I am posting this, it's just a wee ramble... I just have no one to talk to...
England ain't that bad, honest. Just because your sisters partner hates it does not mean that you or your OH would have the same experience.

What is your OH's degree in? unfortunately the better opportunities are usually in the more populous areas, depending on what his specialty is.

I wouldn't worry about anything at this stage though.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Honest, when you've got through passport control, England ain't so bad .

Scary, disheartening, but you never know this little cloud may have an unexpected silver lining for you.

Try to see the positives and you may just surprise yourself
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Oh hun what a rubbish situation to be in **Hugs** to you.

Maybe if he finds a really good job in england you could move with him?

Dont start thinking negative things, just take each day as it comes and deal with it there and then, you never know whats round the corner

Keep your chin up miss

xxx
It's just so difficult coz if he does have to move, then I either can't be with him, or I can't be with my family

This might sound so immature, but I don't feel ready to move away away from my family... A wee bit away isn't bad... but not too far... I would move to be with him though, and just need to deal with it... but it would be hard. He might not want me to go though

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
England ain't that bad, honest. Just because your sisters partner hates it does not mean that you or your OH would have the same experience.

What is your OH's degree in? unfortunately the better opportunities are usually in the more populous areas, depending on what his specialty is.

I wouldn't worry about anything at this stage though.
Aw, don't worry I know England isn't bad. I was born in Doncaster My sister and her partner just hate him being away, they have a daughter and another on the way, and they both want him to be around more... she also misses him like crazy

His degree is Aeronautical Engineering... he has applied to lots of graduate schemes, that are all in England, and his telephone interview was for... erm, something to do with nuclear power... he did explain it to me but I can't remember

I'm trying not to worry just now... but, I terrible for thinking too far ahead...

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Honest, when you've got through passport control, England ain't so bad .

Scary, disheartening, but you never know this little cloud may have an unexpected silver lining for you.

Try to see the positives and you may just surprise yourself
Lol, don't worry I know England isn't bad... I was born there and lived there till I was 8 It's that all my family is up here...

I'm hoping, if we have our talk tomorrow, I will feel more positive... although, one positive is that a few months back he was planning on joining the Marines, and had his heart set on it... he unfortunately wasn't eligible, so that plan went out the window. Things would be much more difficult if he was in the Marines, so thats a positive (It's not a positive that he couldn't do it when he really wanted to, and even though it would be difficult, I would still always support him).
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Ah, another Yorkie lass .

We had to move away from 'home' a few years ago for my hubby's work. It wasn't nearly so bad as feared and I found that I talked to family more than I did when I lived 500 yards down the road from them. We did move back, but again it was a job related decision.

The last move we had six years ago and was a move away by choice (once you've done it once, the second time holds no doubts). I know that family are only a phone call (webcam - hey, how hi-tech is that?) away and I have the view that I 'have car, can travel'

I love where I am now and would never move back, but I know that in times of need, I always have a bed back 'home' (well a choice of beds with family) whenever needed for emergencies.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Aw hun, I can understand exactly where you're coming from BUT it really isnt as bad as it seems. I moved 300 miles away from my family through the OH having a dam good job, it made no sense for him to move where I was. I've never looked back since. I love it here, my kids love it here & same as others we skype the family, email, text & call. Infact i probably talk more to them now than when I lived down the road.
Good luck to you both for whatever the future holds...remember, everything happens for a reason xxx
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Its aeronautical engineering i work in. Mechanical Engineer here, 10years since uni, how old am I
has he tried the likes of Spirit or Assystem or BAE, all based in Prestwick (with me!)

I've branched out a bit, doing boats and all, his engineering degree should cover all the main basis, or does he really want aircraft work? Just this week i transferred back to planes.

Is he looking for a grad scheme, we just took on a clatter of grads, mainly systems engineers though.

Good luck with it.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 10:18 AM
I wasn't ready to move away from my family to be honest. However, I'm now in Germany and they're in England and I'm absolutely fine. I talk to them on the phone and it's only a couple of hours away on a plane if I want to go back for a visit. Sure, I miss them at times but I can just pick up the phone. It's not the end of the world even if you don't feel ready
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Well i live in England and my OH half works away all week and only comes home at weekends, we moved to Kent from Essex 7 years ago and i didn't know anyone here either and no family here, you soon make friends.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >