Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Oops - I ruined it!

Lol - my OH didn't propose to me in the typical Hollywood style, or even any typical way; it was un-romantic to put it the easy way.

Anyway whilst out shopping yesterday afternoon, I was ready for bed (didn't sleep well at all) and he wanted to go somewhere else but he relented and let me go home to have an hour in bed.

He let slip that he was going to go get me a new engagement ring - since he lost mine and I'm borrowing a ring from his Mum - however I got Louie out of the whole mess

He then said that he was going to ask me in front of loads of cameras - I told him he was not going to ruin our friends wedding but then he let slip that he was going to copy what a lad in his platoon was going to do. So I told him he was not going to ask me at his Passing Out parade - he looked dumbfounded and asked me how I'd guessed it - not only had he kind of let the whole thing out, but I'd had a dream about it a week ago

So I ruined his romantic proposal I told him he wasn't allowed to share the other lads day.. he's already asked me afterall and I don't mind how now lol.

How did your hubby's pop the question?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Ah you spoilsport!

Jamie proposed to me on the eve of the millenium at Plymouth sea-front. We were there for the firework display (which was stupendous by the way!).

It was very funny as Jamie thought he would do things properly and rang my Dad earlier in the evening to ask for my hand in marriage. My Dad was extremely deaf and I think everyone else along the sea front knew what Jamie was asking!

He was very romantic and got down on one knee just as the bells chimed for midnight for the New Year. We have been married for almost 11 years now and are still very happy.

I wish you a very happy, long marriage too.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Ah you spoilsport!

Jamie proposed to me on the eve of the millenium at Plymouth sea-front. We were there for the firework display (which was stupendous by the way!).

It was very funny as Jamie thought he would do things properly and rang my Dad earlier in the evening to ask for my hand in marriage. My Dad was extremely deaf and I think everyone else along the sea front knew what Jamie was asking!

He was very romantic and got down on one knee just as the bells chimed for midnight for the New Year. We have been married for almost 11 years now and are still very happy.

I wish you a very happy, long marriage too.
Aww how lovely, Marriage won't be for a long time, we've been engaged 2 years.. my sister was engaged for 9 before she got married
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Aw I love stories about this. We got engaged in November last year. There was no down on one knee and he hadn't asked my dad (but did after I'd said yes ) He had been working away from home and came back on the Friday then on the Saturday he said he was going out in town and upped and left I was really peeved as I had hoped after him being away we could spend Saturday together. But we did have a meal at our fav restaurant booked that night so off I went to walk with Ben.
Came back and he still wasn't home, he came back a bit later and was very quiet and hardly spoke so of course my mind was in overdrive !!
Anyway we went out for our meal which was fabulous and as the wine flowed he obviously relaxwed and was back to his chatty funny self then after the meal he quietly and without any fuss said he had missed me so much when he was away and he knew he loved me and wanted to be with me forever and pulled a box from his pocket, then he said I want to be with you forever will you marry me I havn't picked an engagement ring because I would get it wrong but I hope you will wear this as your wedding ring and in the box was a lovely band with a celtic design embossed on it and I will indeed be wearing it as my wedding riing when we get married in May next year - we in fact have just got the rings (he got a matching one) back after having them engraved with a gaelic message and the date of our wedding - the english translation of the engraving means I give you my heart forever
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 05:46 PM
You naughty girl!!!
Graham proposed to me at a friend's party. I was out in the garden talking to 2 friends and suddenly everyone came out into the garden. I was totally oblivious as to what was about to happen!!
He then made a speech about how he loved his friends etc (which I thought was a bit weird!!) and got down on one knee and said "Zoe, will you marry me?"!! I was, for the first time in my life, speechless!! Of course I said yes straight away!!
The funny thing was, I thought I'd lost a ring he bought me in Paris (not engagement ring) and was wondering how I would tell him. It transpires that he'd taken it to get the size right!!! Bless his little ginger self!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't think OH ever proposed to me, nor me to him!

I think we just decided to get married!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2011, 07:37 PM
My husband never proposed to me but somehow we ended up getting married.

Actually that is a lie. He did propose, sort of, after I had left him and was in the middle of divorce proceedings, proposing that we get back together.

I declined.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 09:25 PM
No big proposal, in fact i am not even sure how we came to get engaged. We set our wedding day after we decided to live together and because it was 25 years ago and family were anti living together the appeasement was to set the date, which we did for 15 months later on a date that we wanted.

We only ended up living together because our friends wanted us to rent the flat below them and when that wasnt available at the last minute we had kind of convinced ourselves so looked a found something else and within two weeks we had moved in!

We are still together and have now been married just over 25 years! Not sure how though!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Calvin asked my dads permission first. Then he got my ring size by making me find out and tell him my ring size for every finger pretending he was looking at jewelry as a christmas gift. Then we went away to Wales in the middle of January for 2 weeks and at the beginning of the 2nd week he got down on one knee and proposed.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-09-2011, 11:20 PM
I'd planned to propose to Karen at a nice spot during a day out but kept freezing lol. In the end I ran out of time (we were calling in at her parents) so ended up pulling over and proposing to her in a layby at Killin.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >