Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Majuka - can I borrow some of your calmness please
I'm not always a calm person - believe me!!

It's good that you are seeing someone who will be practised in putting you at ease (as long as you make it through the door that is!)x
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 08:07 PM
I work at a dentist so Im used to seeing nervous people and trust me, most people will say after it was no where near as bad as they were expecting. Its good that you have been given a dentist known to be good with nervous patients. Thats half the battle over with. Explain your fears to him and ask him to explain everything that will be done. When you have treatment done, feel free to take an ipod/personal stereo with you. Lie back and listen to the music. You'd be supprised how it makes the time go. We have a few patients that swear by it. You'll be fine, Im sure. Shame you're not near me. You could come to my practice and I'd come and hold your hand!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
When you have treatment done, feel free to take an ipod/personal stereo with you. Lie back and listen to the music. You'd be supprised how it makes the time go. We have a few patients that swear by it. You'll be fine, Im sure. Shame you're not near me. You could come to my practice and I'd come and hold your hand!
Thanks Gerri,

Oh that's a good idea re i pod - I always think a Dentist should have a tele on the ceiling.

My hubby used to hold my hand but he is in heaven now

I have just told my staffie that I will be as brave as she was when she had two lumps removed last month
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Thanks Gerri,

Oh that's a good idea re i pod - I always think a Dentist should have a tele on the ceiling.

My hubby used to hold my hand but he is in heaven now

I have just told my staffie that I will be as brave as she was when she had two lumps removed last month
Some do have TV's. Our hygienist has one in her room and people can watch it if they want.
Im sure your husband will be there, holding your hand like he used to. xx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
I work at a dentist so Im used to seeing nervous people and trust me, most people will say after it was no where near as bad as they were expecting. Its good that you have been given a dentist known to be good with nervous patients. Thats half the battle over with. Explain your fears to him and ask him to explain everything that will be done. When you have treatment done, feel free to take an ipod/personal stereo with you. Lie back and listen to the music. You'd be supprised how it makes the time go. We have a few patients that swear by it. You'll be fine, Im sure. Shame you're not near me. You could come to my practice and I'd come and hold your hand!
I think I'd happily drive to yours if you promise to hold my hand.

I'm petrified. I have VERY sensitive teeth and anything they do hurts like hell. Even when I'm numbed I'm in agony ;o(

I get palpitations and sweats just thinking about it and am due to go on 21 April ;o(
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I think I'd happily drive to yours if you promise to hold my hand.

I'm petrified. I have VERY sensitive teeth and anything they do hurts like hell. Even when I'm numbed I'm in agony ;o(

I get palpitations and sweats just thinking about it and am due to go on 21 April ;o(
Of course I'll hold your hand. I'll even let you squeeze my stress ball!
My teeth are really sensitive. I had a filling a little while ago and even the topical anaesthtic (what they put on the gum before the injection!) had me going through the roof!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm not afraid of it but I will delay going for as long as it is physically possible - at current it stands at about 5 years and i'm not even registered with a dentist in the town I live now!

Anyway push has come to shove and I now need to go because I have a hole in the side of one of my front teeth in the gap between and it needs filling in as I know i'd be really angry at myself if I had to have it removed so i've registered and made an appointment but am dreading it.

I know I have to go though as it looks like I constantly have something stuck between my teeth and with getting married this year I don't want it to show on the photo's. I'll probably get them whitened a bit this year as well but they're not too bad as they are!!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Well if I tell you that I am nearly 37 years old and yet I will only go to the dentist if my Mummy comes with me, then that should make it quite obvious that yes I am terrified of the dentist

It is the injections that scare me the most, I would rather have the pain than the needle! and I don't like it when they use the water as it feels like I am going to drown as you can't swallow with all the bits in your mouth
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by MINIMUM View Post
I empathise completely and really do need to go to the dentist but I have a very severe gag problem and sometimes even brushing my own teath makes me gag. I try not to be scared but feel I could cope if the dentist could do all the work at the same time with me completely unconcious....the sound of the drills, the smell everything fills me with dread.....even writing about dentists is making feel queesy....
I am terrified of the dentist...and have the same problem...a severe gag reflex
I've actually had CBT therapy to help deal with my gag reflex (as I have a problem taking tablets because of it, and I am on a lot of medication).

It must be about 5 years since I've been, even though my dentist is great.
She lets me sit up throughout the whole thing, and stops when I get too anxious - and thats only for a check-up!

I am going to have to make an appointment as soon as the hospital says I can have treatment, as the chemotherapy has damaged my teeth
I've always had great teeth (never had a filling), but my front tooth has started to decay since my last lot of chemo, as have a few at the back

Will only go if my Mum takes me though!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 09:54 AM
We were having this discussion on another forum, and several people have had hypnotherapy to rid them of severe anxiety of dentists - they said it has worked better than they ever hoped!

Personally, I don't really care! As above, I had so much orthodontic work done I am pretty desensitised to it!
I've had all sorts doneincluding: having 8 teeth taken out at once; having metal rings placed round every tooth in my mouth, using a chisel and small hammer to push them down; having to wear a headgear that came out of my mouth and strapped round my head at night. Frankly, 'normal' dentist stuff is a breeze compared to that!!
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »