Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Hate them - there far too often!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Glad you have been sorted Dizzi and not in pain like you were a while ago. I had two bottom side teeth filled last Thursday and I keep getting nerve pain - just every now and then it shoots away - absolutely nothing like you experienced. I suppose it will gradually go away. Back this coming Friday for three back teeth to come out and then it is just the hygienist and then it is all over thank goodness.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Still havent got my lovely smile as my dentist is on a 3 week holiday but I go back on the 5th May to have an impression taken. So I think I won't be smiling until about 3 weeks time. I was told today that a few people have not been happy with the dentures from her, so I am just going to see how the next lot turn out and if I am not happy I will be having them done privately with another dentist, no matter what the cost.
Hi - have your got your new teeth yet?
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Hi - have your got your new teeth yet?
No still no lovely smile. I have had my impression done and have an appointment on Friday for the bite. I hope the new teeth will fit this time as the dentist has sent them to a different place to be made and that is where my sons friend works, so he is going to make them for me. We think it was the dentist at fault with the first set as it seems the mould was not placed in properly. So if the same thing happens to the next set, I have a back up plan and going straight to the place my sons friend works and then have the impression etc. done there. It will be done privately and cost a fortune but I need to be able to smile and eat again.
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Good luck on Friday Heather-bet you cant wait to get this all finally sorted
Even if it has to be done privately it will be worth it to be able to feel confident again and be able to smile.
Can we have a photo when you finally get them?
Maureen
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Well I'm back in the dentist chair, had 3 appointments last week Had another tooth out, boy did it hurt when it was coming round too, never had anything quite like that before, anyway, it's done and sorted now.

Friday I went to see a proper denture man at another dentist. Spent half an hour free consultation with him, and he said, the problem with dentists when they do their impressions and send them off to the denture shop is, that denture man has never seen me or my mouth, so he has to kind of "guess" most of it That explains a lot then! Whereas this man I saw, does nothing but dentures and half dentures (which I have), and his prices range for £800 to £1100 quid, BUT, he said I have a lot more choice of materials and teeth, and however long it takes, they WILL fit me properly, and the price is because I'm paying for his expertise on the subject, unlike a normal dentist who is in too much of a hurry coz he has to see people in pain, and I can really see where he's coming from.

Good luck with yours then Heather, you need to do what I've done and see a proper "denture man" who does nothing else BUT and then you'll have the lovely smile you've always dreamed of and a comfy fit! He also told me that there's no point doing anything now after I've had a tooth out, it takes 3 months for your gums to settle properly, so I'll be going back around that time for a half denture, even if it's going to cost me a grand, it'll be well worth it! Afterall, even my chrome half denture cost me £600 and it doesn't fit properly, hence the reason I had to have yet another tooth out coz it was bashing it all the time being lose! Blimmin teef!!!!
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I agree Helena, I think dentists expertize is treating teeth or removal of them but it seems to be a hit and miss with dentures. I can see what you mean about waiting for 3 months for the gums to heal as mine have changed shape since I had all my teeth out. And they are getting stronger everyday I can actually eat crisps now with my gums. Whereas a week or two ago my it was painful. Although chewing meat is a no no. What I found is that we adapt to different things as when I first had the bottom teeth out I found it hard to suck a sweet as it kept falling out of my mouth as there was no teeth there to keep it in, but I have mastered that now as long as I don't try and talk and suck at the same time. But I will get there.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Lol at you there Heather with your talking and sucking at the same time!!!!

Yes, thankfully, I still have front teeth that keep these half dentures in, but the last bottom set I had done were far too lose, they would rise up with a mouthful of food and I was terrified of swallowing them and it was quite an art being able to eat a full meal, plus I had to keep going to the bathroom after every mouthful coz something was stuck underneath them!! My dentist told me off when I originally had them made, coz I told him I would be going to a cosmetic dentists to get a nice set made, but he said I wouldn't get any better from anyone than him, but I beg to differ, so I probably won't even be telling him about the new set I'm having!!

I don't know if where you are going is an actual dentist surgery as well, because it is the LAW, that the dentist has to give you a thorough check up of your remaining teeth before this denture man can start his work. I told him that I had in fact seen my own dentist only the day before, and before that even, but he said, even worse that I had seen him twice in that week, and I had to see their own dentist in the same practice! Now whether that's a little money spinner or not I don't know, because he said I wouldn't have to pay for it, he would pay for it himself That's a first isn't it!!!! Cost £45! He said she might be able to talk to me about another crown on one of my fronts which will make the whole thing look a lot nicer, but do I really want to go there???!! Nah! It's a good enough smile, they're not crooked really, especially as one side is already crowns and the rest, well, they're plastic jobbies!

I can't believe you can eat crisps with your gums Heather I sucked a bag of maltesers with no teeth at the back and I suffered for it, the soreness, but maybe that was maltesers, whereas the salt in your crisps is good for gums. Maybe you sucked them to death first though!!! All the best with yours and I'll be interested to know how much yours are going to cost when you finally get round to seeing a proper denture man which you must, it's going to be worth every penny imo!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
What I found is that we adapt to different things as when I first had the bottom teeth out I found it hard to suck a sweet as it kept falling out of my mouth as there was no teeth there to keep it in, but I have mastered that now as long as I don't try and talk and suck at the same time. But I will get there.
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 10 11 12 13