Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:29 PM

Are you afraid of the Dentist

I haven't been to the Dentist for about 10 years (I know, absolutely disgraceful). I am not afraid of the Dentist, drill, injections, etc. but suffer from severe claustrophobia and can't stand being trapped in that chair. However, my teeth really do need some attention and before they get any worse I have decided I must 'bite the bullet' not literally of course and make an appointment. It will cost me an absolute fortune I am sure as quite a bit of work needed but I am now getting very conscious of my not so bright smile I suffer from general anxiety anyway so it doesn't take a lot to send me into panic/shakes/throwing up. Anybody else scared?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Nope!! wouldn't say I like it (does anyone?), but I'm not afraid of it. I did however spend my youth being poked and prodded by my orthodontist when I had braces, so perhaps I became desensitized to it!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:43 PM
I had an absolutely dreadful experience at the dentist - he didn`t know I was booked in and had arranged a lunch date. He lost it completely and got incredibly angry, forcing a crown into my jaw with brute force. I was crying with pain and just ran. That was 30 years ago. I only go now if I`m in severe pain.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I used to be a dental nurse so i am not bothered at all but i was very frightened when i was a child after aving to have teeth out with the old fashioned gas mask, had nightmares for ages after.

I think because i know what happens in the surgery and the procedures it doesn't worry me at all. My kids are very good as well, my 13 year old is having braces fitted and has had to have 6 teeth out to accomodate them and he was so good. I think us adults sometimes instill our own fears into children.

Don't be frightened, if you don't go now and get your teeth sorted it will be much more difficult in the long run because you will have to have more treatment than you may have done if you had sorted it in the first place
MINIMUM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:03 PM
I empathise completely and really do need to go to the dentist but I have a very severe gag problem and sometimes even brushing my own teath makes me gag. I try not to be scared but feel I could cope if the dentist could do all the work at the same time with me completely unconcious....the sound of the drills, the smell everything fills me with dread.....even writing about dentists is making feel queesy....
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't mind going, in fact I had some root canal work done during family visiting us and as I sat there in the chair I thought - at last - some relative peace and quiet!!!

Talk to whichever dentist you go to, your concerns aren't unusual, if they are a good practice they will listen to your concerns and do their best to put you at ease. Good luck.x
Yatima
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Nope!! wouldn't say I like it (does anyone?)
I like it!
I go there every half a year for normal control. My Dentist is realy realy friendly.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Well I have made an appointment. Was recommended a Dentist who deal with anxious people, filled out application form on line and they have just rung. I am there for one hour check up on Wednesday afternoon.

I'm the same as you Minimum, gives me a stomach ache just thinking about it (I don't gag though) and would love to be completely out of it for say 3 hours and come round to everything being done. I can usually make the first appointment then it gets really difficult. I am sure I will have nightmares tonight and Tuesday.

Majuka - can I borrow some of your calmness please
MINIMUM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:23 PM
you are VERY brave sue...you must let me know how it goes- I will be thinking about you
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by MINIMUM View Post
you are VERY brave sue...you must let me know how it goes- I will be thinking about you
I've got to get there yet
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »