register for free

Dog News

£10,000 puppies

The world's rarest puppies that are worth £10,000 EACH: Owner's delight after becoming first European to successfully breed litter of Phu Quoc Ridgebacks

A dog owner has become the first in Europe to breed the world's rarest puppies with each one worth as much as £10,000.

Catherine Lane, 42, is not only the first owner of Phu Quoc Ridgebacks in Europe but also the first to successfully breed a litter of four puppies.

The dog lover from Brighton, East Sussex, travelled to Vietnam to collect two of the prize-winning dogs, which are so rare there are only 800 registered in the world.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...idgebacks.html

Your comments and views:
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Stupid is as stupid does... She will breed and there will be buyers.... until the next hot fashion item comes along...

Poor dogs.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2015, 11:04 PM
If these do catch on, the in-breeding is going to be phenomenal although it sounds as though it already is
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-10-2015, 01:33 AM
I've loved all my crosses and Heinz 57's

I love looking at the KC papers and pedigree lines of our specific breeds.

How she determined these dogs were 'perfect' is beyond me.

They may well turn out to be lovely but how can you value something which has no history of 'standard' quality or health.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2015, 04:35 AM
This is just some unregistered breed from a foreign country. Additionally, daddy looks as if he's got some allergies going on. Doubt she did any health testing either. The puppies, like most puppies, are adorable but they're just black puppies. My dog was just a black puppy, he didn't cost 10 grand though. I don't support breeders of any kind, but I especially don't support THESE kinds of breeders.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-10-2015, 06:39 AM
The gene pool must be very small if they were breeding with each other. So not fully understanding her remarks on Labradoodles etc., As for the fetch training they are puppies all puppies do this at this age don't they ? Mine did.
Seems put the title rare on something and people's brains become mush and they will pay anything. There are breeders who work tirelessly to better the breed Myra many in my breed do endless and money consuming testing to try to breed the health problems out of the breed.
Doubt this is what this person is doing though.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2015, 12:44 PM
That's good for them, Lynn. Doesn't change the fact that the last thing this world needs is more dogs, well bred or not. Like I said, I don't support breeders of any kind. At this point, breeding is unnecessary. People who love pure bred dogs will argue this day and night, but for all practical purposes, it is unnecessary.

Additionally, when you breed unnaturally giant dogs you can forget about breeding the health problems and short life spans out of the breed. It's not going to happen. By doing proper testing etc. you can reduce health problems and prolong lifespans, but you can't correct them entirely.

This person has some unknown breed of dog and is breeding just to be breeding. With such a tiny gene pool, they can't possibly be breeding to improve the breed. And of course at 10 grand a pup, money is what they're after... like many breeders, both "ethical" and unethical.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2015, 01:25 PM
'they all breed with each other so really rare' but wouldnt touch a doodle due to genes? eejit
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-10-2015, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE][This is just some unregistered breed from a foreign/country QUOTE]
Not really sure what the above means to be honest.

Just because it's not a breed you know of or it's not recognised / registered in your / our country does not me an it's not a breed, there are plenty of breeds from around the world that may not be recognised in Europe, America or the UK, but they do exist...your comment suggests you may not realise this.

Also it always surprises me when someone says they don't support breeders of any kind yet own a dog, where do you think your dog came from.?

The price of these pups is ridiculous , but I am sure someone will pay it, but to suggest she has not done any Health testing on her dogs is purely speculative , you don't know that, and if you thought about it, these dogs should be healthy because of quarantine regulations to get them into the country in the first place, as for breed health screening we don't know. Where does it say she is interbreeding the dogs, is that another speculation or does it state this.

The many breeds we introduce into our countries all started the same way with one or two enthusiasts working tirelessly to support a breed till it gains reconision .

I don't know the reason behind this woman's purpose, the price is nuts, but her intentions may be have some ground to it.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-10-2015, 01:41 PM
I have had a mixed breed that had cancer at 4 so whether pedigree 1st cross or heinz 57 they can all potentially have problems there are a lot of giant breed dogs that live happily and healthily into double figures Dillon's breeder being one of them.
I applaud you for not buying from a breeder and having a rescue but as Jackie points out they are all bred by someone and possibly unethically.
So if those of us that like a particular breed and would not consider anything else we tend to buy from ethical breeders health tested puppies and know the lines for at least 5 generations of where they have originated from.
If we decide we do not want to go down the puppy route again there are many breed rescues and many people in my breed adopt these dogs. We may consider it in the future when Dillon is no longer with us depending on how long he lives and how old we are.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top