Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
I am the same about boilers and gas metres...I don't like those in bedrooms

Before we met Mrs. Losos had a realy nasty experience with a gas fire in the office where she was working, she's been anti gas appliances ever since.

While I'm here, since I always think of you as the automobile expert can you tell me if, when you do your tax on the phone, do you ever get anything in writing to say you have paid.

I went to our local P.O. on Friday to tax the car but they don't do it anymore, so I decided to try the telephone service, all automated pre-recorded voices of course (which I hate ) but it did work (amazingly ) but nothing about 'receipt in the post' or what ever.

Do I have to carry a copy of my bank statement around with me to prove to Police (if stopped) that I have paid the tax
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2018, 09:42 PM
If you go on line Harvey you can check here.https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax. There is no need to carry your bank statement with you
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2018, 09:42 PM
No Harvey, the Police have automatic access as to your vehicle tax and MOT validity
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2018, 10:49 PM
If you renew online, you do get an email confirmation that it has been paid. It's a lot simpler way of doing it.

As Moyra says, the police can very quickly verify if the car is both taxed and insured these days so no need to carry around proof
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Sue L View Post
If you go on line Harvey you can check here.https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax. There is no need to carry your bank statement with you
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
No Harvey, the Police have automatic access as to your vehicle tax and MOT validity
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you renew online, you do get an email confirmation that it has been paid. It's a lot simpler way of doing it.

As Moyra says, the police can very quickly verify if the car is both taxed and insured these days so no need to carry around proof

Hi, thanks to all of you
Sue, I'll check out that link, thanks.
Moyra, Trouble is Moyra, with my usual luck, I'll be stopped by a Police Car where the automatic checking system has crashed it does happen.
Chris, Yes I considered the 'on-line' option, I'm trying to keep my 'online' activity to a minimum. I just don't think the computer IT guys are keeping up with the fraudsters and don't want to be one of the unlucky ones seeing as I am the worlds most unluckiest person

Thanks again to all of you. I've seen the debit on my bank statement now so I'm reasonably relaxed about it but I do like to have something I can carry in the car, I have photocopies of the insurance and MoT always in the glove box.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2