Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jakeparrot
New Member!
Male 

23-12-2017, 01:36 AM

Unexpected new addition

So first I'll tell you about my four legged family. It consists of a 8 year old basenji mix named Simba, a 8 month old cocker spaniel/chihuahua mix named Summer, and 2 cats. Simba is good with every person and dog he meets and will generally accept any kind of animal I let him sniff. Summer is my mom's new lap dog after the passing of our senior chihuahua. We also have 2 parrots that are part of the family. Now one of my family members decided to get a puppy for their toddler for Christmas. They have had this poor girl for the less than a week and they have decided they are betta fish people to no fault of this puppy. She is just being a puppy and they don't seem to understand or empathize that she is a baby and this is new and stressful for her as well. Anyways they decided today they wanted to part ways with their new addition and I couldn't stand to see this poor pup get handed around over and over because of the time of year. So I decided she will be coming with me. I have to drive to get her tomorrow. She is a black lab/collie mix so emphasis on the energy level she might have. She should fit in here because Simba generally accepts any animal I bring him and is only mildly jealous. My mom's dog Summer is the alpha in the house though. She is initially scared of new dogs but once they are around enough she will guard toys and treats from them just like she does with the other pets. I'm thinking the pup should find her place in my routine by being a trainable jogging partner that can learn a dog sport like frisbee. Summer is a good fetch dog but being 10 pounds she doesn't play hard or fast. Simba is 8 years old and he is more interested in walking at a steady rate for a reasonable distance than running or playing with his ball. The advice I seek is how to maintain order in a 3 dog household and tips for socializing the pup while it is winter in Pennsylvaina. To my understanding the pup should have a new experience every day possible until she is around 20 weeks old. Car rides, different parks, different pet friendly stores, as many positive dog and people interactions as possible in as many situations as I can come up with, take her for visits to the vet, shot clinics, introduce vacuum, fire alarm, brush teeth, handle paws and clip nails, ease her into taking a bath without trouble. I think I know what I'm doing but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2017, 09:28 AM
You sound very much like you know what you are doing, well done on taking the pup on.

Have a good Christmas.