Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 08:53 PM

Soups - homemade help

Okay given I could find myself of fluid only diets for a while in the future to avoid hospital addmitance....looking for some receipes please. I do not like chunky soups but happy to blitz and make smooth. Help please. I have NEVER made soup. In fact would avoid at all costs normally but have a feeling could have to learn to live it so want to know whats in it. Hence going my own way, I with confidence could find myself expanding my reprotoire
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2017, 10:38 PM
I'm certainly not a cook, but you can blitz most foods in a blender (even Sunday lunches) and make the resultant puree as thick or thin as you like by adding varying amounts of gravy.

It's very tasty and gives a lot of variety.
Jasmine36
New Member!
Female 

19-10-2017, 07:51 AM
My dog is 13 years old very fussy with his food will eat out of your hand but wont eat from his dish
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Kazz, i just chuck a load of veg (being a veggie Lol) into a pan , sometimes i use a stock cube, if i am on one of my missions i just boil the veg, use a little pepper and blend...i love it, very filling and you know exactly what's in it, i guess you could chuck cooked meat in and just blitz it the same
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-11-2017, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Okay given I could find myself of fluid only diets for a while in the future to avoid hospital addmitance....looking for some receipes please. I do not like chunky soups but happy to blitz and make smooth. Help please. I have NEVER made soup. In fact would avoid at all costs normally but have a feeling could have to learn to live it so want to know whats in it. Hence going my own way, I with confidence could find myself expanding my reprotoire
I'll ask my dear wife.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Heinz to the rescue me thinks
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2017, 03:07 PM
I live on Heinz soups, mainly cream of chicken but other wise Tomato! Have done so for the last few weeks and everyone is saying how much weight I have lost!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Get yourself a soup maker and a recipe book - see link.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soup-Maker-...Over-recipes-M 94384949

Or simply get a big pan and chuck almost anything in it. You can get a slow cooker for meats and then liquidise them into soup. Make up individual portions and freeze them so you won't always be cooking. There is so much you can do - fruits can also be liquidised and made into a puree. Most things freeze very well once prepared and cooked. Don't forget to label what you have made and date it. Good luck - I hope you will soon have no need for a liquid diet.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2017, 04:04 PM
parsnip and pear soup
  • 1 tbl butter
  • 1 tbl oil
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 3 parsnips chopped
  • 3 pears chopped
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • bundle of parsley and dill
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • in a large soup pot melt butter with canola oil. sauté garlic, parsnip and pears for about 5 minutes.
  • add stock and mix.
  • tie together a couple sprigs of parsley and dill, place on top. bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes or until the parsnip becomes soft.
  • take out the herbs and then with an immersion blender, blend soup.
  • season with salt and pepper.
  • serve and enjoy.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Bean with Bacon Soup
Just like Campbell's used to make, except not from a can.
  • 3 cans white beans, rinsed and drained (I used cannelini because it's what I had on hand; navy beans would be even better)
  • 4 slices bacon (I used a nice thick cut- if you're using thinner bacon, maybe try 6 slices)
  • 1-2 carrots, minced
  • 1-2 stalks celery, minced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped fine
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1-2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 of a small can (approx 2 tbsp) tomato paste
  • salt and pepper to taste.

1. In the pan you plan to cook the soup in, fry the bacon on both sides until most of the fat is rendered, but not crispy.
2. Remove the bacon from the pot, leaving the rendered grease behind. Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring to get up all the bacon-y goodness, until the vegetables are softened, 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the beans, broth, water, and bay leaves. Partially cover and cook over low heat for a good long while. (I let it go for a couple of hours- this is a great thing to do on a rainy sunday, because it makes your kitchen smell fantastic. But I think 30 minutes would do in a pinch.)
4. Chop the bacon in to tiny pieces. Add chopped bacon and tomato paste to the soup. Cover again and cook another 20 minutes or so.
5. Just before serving, use an immersion blender to half-puree the soup, leaving some whole beans and chunks intact. (If you don't have an immersion blender, remove about 2 cups of the soup, puree in a blender, and stir back into the pot.) Season with salt and pepper to taste (it shouldn't need much; the bacon is salty, so start with a light hand) and serve.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >