Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
solo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2015, 11:03 AM

Ready made Xmas Dinner

Chatting with some seniors I was surprised how many are going to buy a ready made frozen dinner for Christmas.

Due to cut backs, a lot of their centres are no longer running the usual Christmas get together where they all shared a festive meal.

They don't look very appetizing though
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2015, 11:09 AM
I'm lucky, my son has taken over Christmas Dinner duties, but that was because once my mother was gone I did not want to cook another Christmas Dinner, ever again (she made Christmas very difficult, especially in the last few years). I have several friends I meet up with during December and early January, and so have plenty of opportunity to eat Christmas Dinner, and wouldn't be bothered if I didn't have it on Christmas Day, I would have something I really fancied like a sirloin steak if I was on my own
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Dunno what constitutes a senior tbh but I still do xmas dinner whether I have anyone to share it with or not, One or other of my sons can be relied on to come to dinner. My eldest made me laugh cos he once ate 3 xmas dinners in a day trying to keep everyone happy. I'm not fussed I could easily shift it to Boxing day or New year lol. A lot of older people just give up cooking and resort to Microwave meals every day, I can't imagine ever doing that I'd rather have beans on toast or an omelette than a ding meal.
solo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2015, 11:45 AM
A lot of the ready meals that were prepared for those OAP dinners may look a bit sad, but it was the company along with a Christmas cracker, and a sing song that made them so Christmassy.

tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2015, 11:47 AM
I doubt I would eat that, looks revolting
solo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I doubt I would eat that, looks revolting
Not even with a chipolata thrown in !
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2015, 12:03 PM
The whole lot needs to be thrown OUT
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2015, 12:14 PM
It doesn't look very appetising and no I wouldn't eat it, I don't do ready meals. They could still have a sing song though, I put my Xmas cd on Xmas morning and sing along and I'm usually on my own. I'm a firm believer that loneliness is not about being alone it's a state of mind. I've had a pretty horrendous year but I'm still smiling.
solo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
The whole lot needs to be thrown OUT
In all seriousness how ever they may look to you and I, many depend on these hot tin dinners, so I wont knock them
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2015, 01:43 PM
I live on my own and generally on Xmas Day there's only me and the two dogs.

Living in Hungary, I can't buy Xmas pud or mince pies, so usually for desert I'll make an alcoholic trifle instead! I do cook a traditional dinner though, normally duck with all the trimmings which I can share with the dogs. Smoked salmon or pate for starters and nice wine to drink with the food.

I always try to make it a special day for us all, with a Christmas tree and presents and a roaring fire. For Georgina and Gwylim, a long walk followed by games in the house. In the evening when the dogs settle down there's chocolates for me as well as some good books.

Being on your own doesn't mean you have to forgo Xmas, you can still enjoy yourself!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >