Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DaleCooper
New Member!
Female 

06-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Thank you for that.
As soon as my wife mentioned vet he seemed to make a magical recovery. Coincidence I'm sure. But his limping has ceased, his appetite returned, and back to the usual level of activity. We will still go to the vet.

Dale Cooper sounds British. Assuming it is, what took you Warsaw? If you don't mind me asking?
Yes, I'm sure that it's only a coincidence
I will always be astonished at how perfectly our dogs understand human speech.

Dale Cooper is the main character of "Twin Peaks" - one of my favourite series.
I was born in Warsaw. I'm Polish. That's why my English is poor and doesn't sound natural. I use this forum, among other things, to improve my English.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Yes, I'm sure that it's only a coincidence
I will always be astonished at how perfectly our dogs understand human speech.

Dale Cooper is the main character of "Twin Peaks" - one of my favourite series.
I was born in Warsaw. I'm Polish. That's why my English is poor and doesn't sound natural. I use this forum, among other things, to improve my English.
Life is a journey of learning. If we allow it to be.
And I learned something about Twin Peaks!

Yes, dogs understand human speech. And probably much more than we give them credit for. Not just speech I think. Gestures, reactions, tone of voice......

I don't know what you sound like but your written English seems absolutely fine. Better than many on some forums.

A little tale. We have neighbours a few doors away. The father is Polish and speaks no English. I speak no Polish. I called at their door to ask for his name.

We have a common interest - we walk our dogs, they get along, and we get along - despite having no language in common. I take photographs. The other day, I had my camera and he sat down and cuddled my dog. You don't do that unless you know dogs. He asked, well signalled for me to take a photograph. I did. You would.

A gentleman of the first order.
DaleCooper
New Member!
Female 

07-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Life is a journey of learning. If we allow it to be.
And I learned something about Twin Peaks!
Indeed, we can learn something new every day and I find it one of the best aspects of life. I enjoy expanding my knowledge. And talking to other people is presumably the easiest and the most pleasant way to do it. Except of reading of course

Yes, dogs understand human speech. And probably much more than we give them credit for. Not just speech I think. Gestures, reactions, tone of voice......
Sometimes I have a suspicion that my dog understand each and every word. Once I read that we can deceive our dogs with saying good things (for instance "Let's go for a walk") in an angry or sad way and vice versa. I tried it out and my dog understood me correctly. From then on, I strongly believe in her skills.

I don't know what you sound like but your written English seems absolutely fine. Better than many on some forums.
Thank you a lot. It's very motivating

A little tale. We have neighbours a few doors away. The father is Polish and speaks no English. I speak no Polish. I called at their door to ask for his name.

We have a common interest - we walk our dogs, they get along, and we get along - despite having no language in common. I take photographs. The other day, I had my camera and he sat down and cuddled my dog. You don't do that unless you know dogs. He asked, well signalled for me to take a photograph. I did. You would.

A gentleman of the first order.
I must admit it's a heart-warming story. I know from personal experience that being a dog owner helps to make friends with other dog owners. However, it's hard for me to imagine getting along with a person who doesn't speak Polish, English or at least German (I don't know any other language). And I'm not sure whether using gestures and nonverbal communication would be enough to understand each other.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
I must admit it's a heart-warming story. I know from personal experience that being a dog owner helps to make friends with other dog owners. However, it's hard for me to imagine getting along with a person who doesn't speak Polish, English or at least German (I don't know any other language). And I'm not sure whether using gestures and nonverbal communication would be enough to understand each other.
It works for us. Not that we would get into a philosophical discussion on "War and Peace".
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4