Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
portions here were huge.
Tbh I can't see the point of huge portions, we're a nation of mostly overweight people and besides the sick don't generally have much of an appetite in my experience. Huge portions would generally end up in the waste so why bother, I lost a stone but it wasn't a problem I'm relatively healthy assuming you can call someone who's had two strokes healthy and soon regained the lost weight. So if the obese patients lose an equivalent amount I think that's a good thing, they might stop snoring so the rest of us can sleep.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-07-2015, 04:08 PM
When I was in hospital in the UK two years ago the food was really superb and so much choice. As well as breakfast, lunch and dinner, morning coffee and afternoon tea were also served as well as hot drink at any time you wanted one during the night.

Very different from the year before when I had a 10 day stay in an Hungarian hospital where breakfast consisted of 3 thick wedges of bread, smeared with marge and a portion of liver sausage or luncheon meat. For lunch, a thin soup followed by an unidentifiable slab of meat with masses of spuds smothered in a tasteless white sauce and in the evening a repeat of the breakfast menu. Patients are expected to provide their own cutlery, glasses, mugs, water and toilet rolls! The standard of treatment was marvellous but if you don't have someone to bring you something edible to eat each day you're liable to die from starvation!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2015, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
When I was in hospital in the UK two years ago the food was really superb and so much choice. As well as breakfast, lunch and dinner, morning coffee and afternoon tea were also served as well as hot drink at any time you wanted one during the night.

Very different from the year before when I had a 10 day stay in an Hungarian hospital where breakfast consisted of 3 thick wedges of bread, smeared with marge and a portion of liver sausage or luncheon meat. For lunch, a thin soup followed by an unidentifiable slab of meat with masses of spuds smothered in a tasteless white sauce and in the evening a repeat of the breakfast menu. Patients are expected to provide their own cutlery, glasses, mugs, water and toilet rolls! The standard of treatment was marvellous but if you don't have someone to bring you something edible to eat each day you're liable to die from starvation!
Could easily manage on that ... our generation were taught to eat whatever was there..sounds fine
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2015, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Tbh I can't see the point of huge portions, we're a nation of mostly overweight people and besides the sick don't generally have much of an appetite in my experience. Huge portions would generally end up in the waste so why bother, I lost a stone but it wasn't a problem I'm relatively healthy assuming you can call someone who's had two strokes healthy and soon regained the lost weight. So if the obese patients lose an equivalent amount I think that's a good thing, they might stop snoring so the rest of us can sleep.
Gee! Well when I say huge it probably is more normal to you as i can eat very little at one time anyways. I am totally lost with a two or three course meal. I did not see any obese patients either time I was in either. And i enjoyed what I did have greatly. And sick folk need to eat. In the ward I was in that first time i saw old folk whose faces lit up at the sight of a plate of good food all cooked and nicely presented, who at home and alone could not afford food like that or prepare it. Being built up to better health before going home. My face lit up too! Same reasons. Wish I had that meal here today!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Well in the stroke ward most people are lucky if they can manage a yoghurt or lukewarm tea from a baby beaker tbh. Funnily enough the obese patients were in the Gynae ward, youngish women, grossly overweight, it's why we have a type 2 diabetes epidemic that's going to bring the Nhs to it's knees.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well in the stroke ward most people are lucky if they can manage a yoghurt or lukewarm tea from a baby beaker tbh. Funnily enough the obese patients were in the Gynae ward, youngish women, grossly overweight, it's why we have a type 2 diabetes epidemic that's going to bring the Nhs to it's knees.
Yukk....We have a struggling two tier system here in Ireland. I have a medical card because of low income so get all free except E2.50 an item on prescriptions. We also have an obesity problem with the kids but I know it it is the same over there. And they all grumble mightily re hospital food as they are so used to take aways and fast food. The food I had was good but simple. Need to get back to that.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2