Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2015, 03:00 AM

Diet advice

So I'm on a special diet. Low carb, red lean meats, and tons of green veggies. Doctors orders, for some reason, my anemia is hanging around even though I feel much stronger. Big problem, this diet sucks. I'm not a fan of red meat, and I dislike green vegetables as much as a 5 year old.

I ate it okay at first, but I have not eaten a single thing today, and it's 10:00 p.m. I did some thinking and I barely ate yesterday, either. I hate eating now. I am skipping meals, preferring to go hungry over eating foods I hate. Bad, I know. I've lost a few lbs, which is needed, but still.

How do you force yourself to eat foods you dislike? I've been forcing down a ton more water, too. I hate water... but can deal with it. I'm somewhat hungry but when I think about what is here to cook, it leaves me. I mostly have the diet food, knowing that if I bought non diet food, I'd not eat the diet food.

This sucks as much as being unwell and needing the diet in the first place.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Hi Myra all I can really suggest is that you research your diet yourself and try to find some things that you do like .

Also with the things you don't like, cooking them in new ways can make them more interesting and acceptable eg steaming vegetables then tossing them in a little butter and black pepper.
Soups are a good way to eat a variety of vegetables including things like broccoli. They can be made from scratch in half an hour.
Also try different and interesting salads with a variety of dressings.
I love watercress, it has a high iron content and makes a lovely soup. Try it sprinkled with a tiny drop of good quality soy sauce or in a salad with finely sliced oranges and a french dressing.
Looking around for new and imaginative options can make a whole difference to how food tastes
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2015, 10:18 AM
When my children were little I would put the vegies in a blender and hide them in things like bolognaise, If you use a very lean mince beef and low calorie sauce this might be an option witha small serving of whole wheat pasta or a jacket potato
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Myra, don't deprive yourself completely of things you enjoy. This is why diets fail.
When I lost weight (different circumstances I know) I made my treat day Sunday and I ate whatever I fancied on a Sunday. The other 6 days I was good
Good luck.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Have you tried some green smoothies. My OH and I have spinach or kale smoothies most days. Add in a bit of banana, pear or apple and it's pretty good. We use orange juice as the base but add in water and ice cubes too. And you can chop up the fruit and freeze it to make it last and quicker the next time. We use a full banana between the two of us, but I think 1/4 per smoothie would be fine too, same with the other fruit and you can add in or take out what you like such as berries, yoghurt, peanut butter. Just experiment. We found it's always nicer with some banana though.

As for the meat, I can't really help as we are vegetarians. But my only bit of advice would be to experiment. Try a stir fry, then you can add in some flavours that might be tempting and get your meat and greens.

I know that natural is the best way, but is there not some supplements that could help?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2015, 04:48 PM
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/ar...es-of-iron.php. Some iron rich foods. She'll fish n nuts maybe a good option?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2015, 05:20 PM
I juice and get my green intake that way mixed with fruit, I add a large bit of lemon with peel which disguises the taste of most things. I especially hate Kale most other veggies I'm ok with but even kale is palatable with lemon. I also find using a fat drinking straw works well as the goo then passes straight past your taste buds, result. When I was severely anaemic after suffering hypovolemic shock twice I was prescribed 3 Iron pills a day my Iron levels are now high.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2015, 05:25 PM
I admit that I am picky about foods. I do not like watercress, most shellfish, black pepper (I HATE anything spicy), bananas, or green veggies. I have always favored poultry (chicken, duck, I actually don't like turkey) as a main dish and beany type side dishes (I love all types of beans, except black beans)... or unhealthy ones such as mac and cheese, fried rice, or casseroles.

I need to be avoiding unhealthy foods, and it needs to stick so I can lose weight and keep it off. So hardly a diet, lifestyle change. I love apples and eat them each day, and I'm a fan of berries... except boysen and blue berries.

I'll try some new things, I'm also a rubbish cook... making things harder even still. SarahJade, I am on hideously strong prescription grade iron supplements 3 times a day, as well. That is why I said for some reason my anemia is sticking around. I, nor they really know why, but it is.

My mother is a vegan and she eats that tofu and all that stuff and like I'd die before I ate any of that, literally. This is a struggle for me because to me, food isn't just to stay alive, it's supposed to be enjoyable. I'd literally rather go hungry than eat foods that taste terrible.

I know it's bad and am trying to change it, but I also know myself. If I buy what I'm not supposed to eat, I'll break my will and all the yucky food will go into the garbage or to the dogs, depending on what it is, and I'll just begin buying what I like again.

FAIL!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2015, 09:19 AM
more exercise it is then eat what you like in moderation (or make it as healthy as poss, low fat versions of cheese etc for your mac)

burning more calories than you put in should get you going in the right direction

i did read that vitamin c helps you metabolise iron so perhaps add that to your supplement list?
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2015, 10:58 PM
I have to lose eight too due to having arthritis, I do slimming world ( think they slowing crossing to the USA) but I do the treat day as already suggested every Saturday, it's the day I weigh in otherwise I'd never stick to it.
I'm not a brill cook either but soups, bolognaise ( I love bolognaise with potato wedges and salad) stews and casseroles are a great way of hiding veg you not keen on. If you google slimming world or just healthy low carb recipes it will give you loads of ideas. I hate fish but I try once a month or so to try some
Hope I'm some help
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >