Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Kerry Blackberry Jam...

Just finished making the very first batch of new season blackberry jam... Calling it Kerry Blackberry and hoping the tourists will buy me out.. only 12 jars this week... Will do a tasting as the flavour is intense. It will be irresistible

We need sun as many of the berries are not filling out with the chill we have now.. but even so a rich crop this year...
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Kerry Blackberry, VERY "customer friendly" name. I'm sure they will be gone. People always wish to purchase homemade stuff from the areas they are visiting.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Sounds scrummy Rosebud. Just fancy some on a thick slice of toast
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2014, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Fourlegz View Post
Sounds scrummy Rosebud. Just fancy some on a thick slice of toast
Yummy it is.... I love watching the faces when folk taste it! Their eyes light up...after shop jam that is too much sugar..

Just got rained off picking down the lane but there are abundant getting ripe now and later this week will have an away day picking.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Thinking of breakfast and your jam's making my mouth water!
Will have to settle for my neighbour's home-made marmalade which is pretty good!
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Well done on your jam making I am sure it will sell out very quickly

I agree there are abundant berries that need to fill and ripen yet but also a lot that are already ripe. Been out with Teazle who has again had her fill and picked another 1.5 pounds now draining waiting to freeze. At this rate I wont have room for anything else, but hey its free food
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Sue L View Post
Well done on your jam making I am sure it will sell out very quickly

I agree there are abundant berries that need to fill and ripen yet but also a lot that are already ripe. Been out with Teazle who has again had her fill and picked another 1.5 pounds now draining waiting to freeze. At this rate I wont have room for anything else, but hey its free food
exactly so! Here the head of each branch is ripe and occasionally a branch deep in the hedge in sheltered places.. picking a pound each time already and the crop ahead is huge .. just need some sun...I will enjoy a few berry days this next while..
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2014, 08:08 AM
I am lucky and seem to have some great juicy black berries growing at the end of my garden. In the gap between my fence and my neighbours. So I am picking them as the are free from the car fumes and other stuff.
So I am looking forward to lots of blackberry and apple crumples and such. I am sure your jam will sell very quickly I think I might see if my mum will make some.
Ndidi
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by ndidi View Post
I am lucky and seem to have some great juicy black berries growing at the end of my garden. In the gap between my fence and my neighbours. So I am picking them as the are free from the car fumes and other stuff.
So I am looking forward to lots of blackberry and apple crumples and such. I am sure your jam will sell very quickly I think I might see if my mum will make some.
Ndidi

Wise lady! The lane here is private and traffic is almost non existent. I see folk picking along busy roads, bottoms sticking out

Or maybe our wet climate purifies them

But I choose secluded places. Plenty of them here

Cannot eat fruit so all will go to jams; or later will juice some down and add honey... doing Lavender Honey etc now also. Blackberry chutney sold well last year too...
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2014, 03:34 PM
The jam sounds scrummy. I have several big containers of blackberries sitting in the freezer and I made blackberry ice cubes to go in the new Blackberry & Elderflower Pimms for my BBQ. Now I just need the cooking apples to ripen for blackberry & apple pie.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >