Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2014, 03:27 PM

Jacket potatoes

Does anyone please know how long it takes to "bake" a potato in a microwave? And yes, I know it will not be a proper baked one but will do. This new microwave has a setting for potatoes, set it and then pushed Start - and nothing happened.

I used to automatically know how long in my previous one but this has a higher power and I still have no instructions for it - given up asking as they keep saying yes yes yes and I am still waiting - not even any instructions in Hebrew let alone English, and there are none I can find when I Google.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Yes, we normally prepare all our potatoes this way. Saves energy and actually dries them out less. You may have to push the button, set a time and then hit start.

Some microwaves have small potato, large potato settings so that might be it. We just use the minute function, the works the same IMO. Depending on the size of the potato, usually 7-10 minutes.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks Myra - this stupid thing has one knob for settings, turn left for times and right for the pre-programmed settings. So if I set it for A2 [the potato setting], press Start I still do not know how long to set it for, and if I set a time the A2 setting has gone.

The stupid thing is that I do not need instructions for cooking anything else as I have been using a microwave for years and do cook a lot in them - not just for reheating or defrosting. I just cannot get to grips with these pre-programmed settings.

Anyhow, being a rather large potato I have set it for 10 minutes and can always turn it over and do it for a bit longer. By which time I will probably have totally gone off the idea!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

18-06-2014, 04:09 PM
I pierce them, wrap them in kitchen towel and cook for 4 mins turn over and cook for a further 4 mins, adjust accordingly depending on size of spud
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-06-2014, 04:44 PM
YAY - success! My main problem was the timing because of the higher wattage of this microwave, so as the potato was rather large [and I wanted it soft because of my jaw] I did it for 10 minutes, then turned and gave it another 2 minutes.

I did not wrap it in kitchen towel in case it dried so put it on a plate with a cover over it and it was fine. Split it in half and spread 3% fat soft garlic cheese and must say it went down quite well. The first "proper" [even though it really was not really "proper] meal I have managed for ages, as even before falling I had no appetite [like Pereg] due to that darned Seresto collar.

Had been liquidizing stuff but could not get much down and needed something solid in my stomach. Hope I do not get indigestion now!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Yay! Glad it worked. We normally prepare ours that way and though I can't stand plain potatoes or really potatoes in general, my father loves them this way and it's way easy.

Very glad you're feeling better, as well. I hope everything is okay, Malka. I do care about you a great deal, and would worry a lot if you disappeared, despite the way it may seem sometimes.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Thank you Myra - what you have just said means the world to me. Have a