View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 11:41 PM

First Agility session this Saturday! Advice?

Bentley and I have managed to secure a place on a local 'Intro to Agility' session this Saturday

I'm really looking forward to it. We've already got a 'tyre' hoop and chute tunnel for the back garden which Bentley is great at. The session is only an hour and will introduce us to the different equipment and techniques.

Any advice for me so that I can make sure we have fun and I don't get competitive immediately?!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 08:31 PM
How exciting!! Just don't get carried away with the excitement and follow Bentley over the obstacles

I'm sure he'll love it. Have fun and let us know how you get on.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Have fun Tess... and although you probably won't have time for photos, but if you do don't forget to post them up for us
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2012, 09:45 PM
You'll have great fun but my advice would be don't be disappointed if he can't do everything he can normally do in garden!

I'v found Riley is so distracted with the smells of the field, and it's previous dogs I've had to assume nothing and work hard to get his attention!

Your dog might be less of a spoilt brat than mine though!!!!
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Tomorrow I complete the six weeks of Foundation agility. We have done all the obstacles individually. We are just running the Channel for weave poles as Lucy is not old enough for the actual weaving yet, will be in the next classes that start Jan. 5th.

She is a Shih Tzu x Maltese but is nosy as a hound for sniffing the ground. She was doing really well until we used the arena after horses had been in it one Saturday. Thankfully it was just the one time, since then I have been able to keep her focused on me and the equipment.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Bentley was bloody brilliant!! I'm a complete div though! He was totally cool with the jumps and even followed my hand signal for left and right turns. The dog walk he was absolutley fine with in a kind of 'oh we're doing this now' way Got a good video of him on it but no idea how to get videos on here. He wasn't as fussed about the weave poles but that might be because they made my brain hurt! And he didn't want to sit still on the weave table We then moved inside (as the weather was hideous) for tunnels and tyre jump. We were both totally shattered afterwards

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Have fun Tess... and although you probably won't have time for photos, but if you do don't forget to post them up for us
I had to entrust the camera to the OH and typically he didn't check the settings (I have learned from my error!)
So here are a few of the photos that we did get, so proud of my boy

Thanks for all the advice, keeping everything crossed that we can get into agility properly
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 08:29 PM
and forgot to say that when the other dogs started to go insane with excitement he started to bark along with them, I was able to get his attention with 'watch' and keep him focused on me! I could have cried with happiness, so proud of him
(sorry, will stop bragging now! )
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Well done Bentley!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Glad you both enjoyed it! That will be it now - you'll both be hooked..........