View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Mixed feelings about rabbit. I've eaten it many times, and every time I seem to expect it to taste like chicken, but it doesn't. Same with hare... I just am not keen on the 'gamey' taste.

I would never buy farmed rabbit as they are kept in pretty appalling conditions, not a lot different to caged hens. If I have any choice over how the meat I eat is produced, then I would like them to have had a decent life and seen the great outdoors, wherever possible.

I used to breed & show rabbits but that's not why I have misgivings. While I wouldn't eat one of my own, I have eaten farmed and wild rabbit in the past.

I'd like to find a source of wild rabbit locally for my dogs - there are plenty of rabbits about - I even asked at a local gun shop recently, as I thought they'd know of people who might have some to spare, but the pest control people who apparently do all that stuff are based miles away and wouldn't be interested unless I could take large numbers.

No use relying on my dogs. Merlin is a dyed-in-the-wool herding dog, and looks deliriously happy once he's herded them all down their holes. Rue has the prey drive but she's not as young as she once was, and often fails to spot them on the horizon.

The only time Merlin tasted fresh wild rabbit was a couple of years ago when we came across a Golden Retriever and its owner - the GR had caught a rabbit and was happily eating it head-first, owner wringing her hands wanting to get the dog back minus rabbit. It was a two-pronged approach - I had a bagful of liver cake, owner appealed to the dog the best way she could, and somehow we persuaded the GR to leave the rabbit for some liver cake, whisked what was left out of the way and everyone was happy.

Merlin was probably the happiest as I took home the latter half of the GR's kill, which he later ate in the garden.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 05:03 AM
| love rabbitcooked with carrots,swede, onions mushrooms and black pudding makes a wonderful pie,I also eat hare(hare backs are beautiful
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:15 AM
I don't eat meat now but have never eaten rabbit, my mother wouldn't buy it. We had a neighbour who used to breed them for the table.

We sell rabbits in our centre, they are locally sourced wild rabbits they are priced £3 each and quite popular. We also sell Venison and wild boar.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Never have never will, don't eat lamb either, not very adventurous with meats only eat chicken pork and beef.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 09:15 AM
I have always had pet rabbits and currently share my garden and home with 5 very funny pets who I love to bits...however id eat rabbit, just like id still eat chicken and duck if i had them as pets
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-10-2012, 09:47 AM
My wife and I watched it and my son (12) said no way would he eat rabbit, which I find strange as he's such a meat eater.

Personally I agree that if you are happy to eat duck, chicken, pork etc then rabbit should be no different.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Ohh I love a good rabbit stew!
I get them from the cash and carry!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I got some a couple of years back, spent ages making a lovely smelling stew

But afraid the taste was just to different to me and I couldnt help thinking about how horrified a friend of mine would be as she runs a rabbit rescue
I guess that was the biggest thing that put me off - I know people who have them as pets

Strangly I dont have the problem thinking of eating them when they look like fluffy bunnies - I cant stand the look of them skinned - they look like mutant rats
baranduin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2012, 10:51 AM
We have rabbit cooked in a pie or with a 3 mustard sauce --old Robert Carrier recipe. I always soak it first in salty water for an hour or so. I only use the best bits- loin and back legs. Della gets the rest cooked with rice.
Louise
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I guess that was the biggest thing that put me off - I know people who have them as pets
That never bothered me for some reason!
I cooked my stews whilst watching my rabbits run around the garden!
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »