Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tessarc
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Guilt at returning rescue lurcher

I have had B, a beautiful friendly rescue Lurcher for 6 weeks now, and have made the heartbreaking decision to return him. I am feeling so guilty and feel like I have failed him, but feel that he is too big and energetic for our small house and yard. He just will not settle ever, and is only happy when he is in the company of other dogs. If we had more space and a garden I would get another dog but we haven't, and it is clear that he is understimulated. I walk him for around 3 hours+ a day, play with him and do training and obedience with him, but no amount walks, training and playing with him is enough and there aren't enough hours in the day, he is a full-time job and my (luckily freelance) work is suffering as a result. His constant energy is starting to frustrate and upset me as he is constantly pacing (unless he has a doggy friend staying).
I desperately want him to go to the right home with a garden to razz around in and a bit of canine company, most of all to be happy and I feel that I can't offer enough. Am i doing the right thing by giving him up?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Silly question...what are you feeding your lad on?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I was going to ask the same regarding food.??
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I'll 3rd the what are you feeding him question. Might sound stupid but food can be a huge contributor to the sort of behaviour you describe.
tessarc
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Have been feeding him Harringtons (on the recommendation of the rescue place). I gather it is low protein which I understand is what he requires (given the theory that protein for dogs is like oats for horses). I supplement this with some lightly cooked vegetables, and avoid wheat as that gives him the squits. I have grown up with dogs and had a rescue lurcher in the past, so I understood what I was taking on, however his boundless energy is too much for me, and he only seems to be calm when another dog is with him. I understand he was found in an allotment shed with his brother, which I'm sure is why he is so dog focused. The rescue charity have now admitted that when he was in kennels they'd let him out and he'd tear round and round and only come down to earth when they put another dog in the paddock with him, which explains alot...
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I would say that 6 weeks is not really long enough for this boy...

His racing around etc is (IMO) just a learned behaviour - with further training and a proper routine established, his behaviour may change again.

You may also be over-walking/exercising him - bear with me on this - the more exercise you give him, the more he will require. We made this mistake with my eldest Boxer, Max. We gave him loads of exercise, probably more than we should have done, and it turned into a vicious cycle. The more exercise he had, the more he needed. The less willing he was to settle without his 4 hours of exercise, he was climbing the walls eventually.

Have you tried settling him with a stuffed Kong toy/interactive toy?
tessarc
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for that, that is a good point, I had wondered if he was just becoming an exercise junky...
tessarc
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Re: Kong - we have tried one of them, he gets a bit bored of them it seems nothing holds his attention quite like another dog. Have also tried a knucklebone from the butchers and also whilst he quite liked it was not overly blown-away in the way that our other dogs have been. I honestly think it is a case of him needing a bit more space and a playmate, does that make sense?
tessarc
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2011, 03:21 PM
(just to add, I had other dogs in a bigger house with a garden)
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Try a really intensive training session instead. I can wear my boy out with 20 mins hard thinking far more than a two hour walk will! Mental stimulation can be exhausting.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >