View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 04:56 PM
For the first time in my life I am growing something to eat Have put in a lot of raspberry canes which are coming on nicely and have also planted some carrot seeds but nothing showing yet (free seeds from Daily Mail) My Mum grows the tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce in her greenhouse so I don't bother.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Some lovely pics there
I'm going easy this year after a bit of a disastrous year last year - when nothing seemed to grow - even my tomatoes where rubbish
So other than a few new things, I'm trying to maintain what I've already got - first the hostas which are 3 years old now & I am on serious snail patrol! I'm also having a go at sweet peas which are supposed to be so easy to grow & yet I''ve never had success as I didn't look after them & they got too messy!! but this time I'm doing it all right, I have made my own wigwams with canes which I've twined string around for them to stick, I've pinched out the second set of leaves ( coz I heard Monty saying that on gardener's world the other day ) & I'm going to keep an eye on the wandering tendrils
I've just had my outside electrics fixed so my water feature is up & running agian & I've planted some rock plants in the gravel.
I've also ordered some giant fushia plug plants & am going to make a double hanging basket.
Nippy - I have a montana which is 3 years old now & although it's had a few flowers on, this year there are loads, I hope it grows like yours
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 06:00 PM
My Rhubarb is doing great. It's a crown we had given to us that we didn't really want. We dumped it behind the greenhouse where it is really sheltered and it comes early every year and is delicious.
Sue I hope your Raspberries are as successful as ours. We have taken one row out, we had more Raspberries than we knew what to do with
The Montana is about 9 years old Tilly, it would soon take over if I didn't keep a clear eye on it.
Hey sweet peas are easy, keep them tied up and dead headed and they will go on for ever
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I planted some nasturtium seeds two days ago. They already have two leaves. Must be the heat.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
My Rhubarb is doing great. It's a crown we had given to us that we didn't really want. We dumped it behind the greenhouse where it is really sheltered and it comes early every year and is delicious.
Sue I hope your Raspberries are as successful as ours. We have taken one row out, we had more Raspberries than we knew what to do with
The Montana is about 9 years old Tilly, it would soon take over if I didn't keep a clear eye on it.
Hey sweet peas are easy, keep them tied up and dead headed and they will go on for ever
I bought the Montana specially for coverage & it's on a trellis on a wall, I was a bit disappointed in until this year when all of a sudden it's taken off! The flowers have come out yesterday
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 06:33 PM
I am trying sweat peas this year again but usually mine are pathetic.

I have a Montana which grows over an arbor inside which is a swing seat - it is my little shady heaven. Montana not out yet but when it is in it's full glory will post a pic.

Jen, if I am successful with my raspberries I have plenty of takers
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I planted some nasturtium seeds two days ago. They already have two leaves. Must be the heat.
Oh yes I want some Nasturtiums, I love them they are so cheerful

Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
I am trying sweat peas this year again but usually mine are pathetic.

I have a Montana which grows over an arbor inside which is a swing seat - it is my little shady heaven. Montana not out yet but when it is in it's full glory will post a pic.

Jen, if I am successful with my raspberries I have plenty of takers
Lol, all the neighbours got fed up with them as well as us (they give me the runs )
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Glad I'm not the only one that can't manage sweet peas Sue

here's mine - I did what it said on the tin

My montana

Snail protected hosta

The patio that sunk! This was taken yesterday, we've done most of the slabs today now the concrete has set - a few more to do - but beyond them is my lovely palm which I rescued from a skip in a pot half dead again about 3 years now.

My water feature which was fixed today (the outside electrics have been broke for a year

peach tree I got for Mothers day last year, has just finished flowering, don't know if I'll get any peaches, it looks a bit sad
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Glad I'm not the only one that can't manage sweet peas Sue

here's mine - I did what it said on the tin

My montana

Snail protected hosta

The patio that sunk! This was taken yesterday, we've done most of the slabs today now the concrete has set - a few more to do - but beyond them is my lovely palm which I rescued from a skip in a pot half dead again about 3 years now.

My water feature which was fixed today (the outside electrics have been broke for a year

peach tree I got for Mothers day last year, has just finished flowering, don't know if I'll get any peaches, it looks a bit sad
Your sweet peas are about the same size as mine but I don't have flashy tripods like you just sticks stuck in.

Love your water feature - I have always wanted a big ball water feature as I don't think they make any noise - can't stand the sound of running water, like on a fountain or waterfall - like torture to me

Will have to compare sweet peas in about a month
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Your sweet peas are about the same size as mine but I don't have flashy tripods like you just sticks stuck in.

Love your water feature - I have always wanted a big ball water feature as I don't think they make any noise - can't stand the sound of running water, like on a fountain or waterfall - like torture to me

Will have to compare sweet peas in about a month
Thanks, hub bought the water feature for my 40th Birthday, I'd had my eye on it outside a shop for ages, & yes it doesn't make a noise, some of them would just make you want to wee

Oh yes a sweet pea competion Mine were bigger, but I pinched them out like Monty said I want them equal & neat all the way up - as if!!
I haven't grown them from seed though, I bought a tray from B&Q hospital section half price
if your canes are smooth, the string is so they can grab on, or you can just sand the canes to make them rough.
Like I know what I'm talking about - I did research though, good luck with yours
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »