Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:58 AM

Our new family members! Hammies!

We have ended up with two rescue hammies who's owner never returned for them.

Had them a few days, Rocky's already had an accident but has recovered very well and they are now getting used to me enough to come out of their own accord when I open the cage.

When we took them on they had very boring cages and as a result Rocky is a bar chewer (and Rolo is fat - both hammies wheels were broken).

I'm trying to work on Rocky's bar chewing habit and it seems to be getting less now he has more to do (he'll need a bigger cage soon for all the stuff I'm giving him to do!) and I keep flicking the bars when he starts - at which point he shouts at me but does stop chewing!

Rolo loves his new wheel and I think he'll lose weight quite quickly.

I bought them a ball and they both love it! I was really surprised as I didn't think they'd want it but they took to it really well.

So here they are:
Rocky (who is a gorgeous colour - possibly agouti pearl?)

And Rolo doing what he does best:
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Aww, they are sooo cute , I love hamsters
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 12:49 PM
LOL they look just like Boris and Yelstin at college, they are fat arses too do they live together or seperate?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys...

Reisu - they live separate. They did when we took them on - the girl that had them had already separated them as they fought.

Looking at their cages I think they were both kept in Rolo's cage which is waaaay too small for two russians (it suits Rolo ok because he's not really that active and only uses his wheel - it wouldn't suit Rocky at all as he's a go getter) and no wonder they fought with a small cage, one of everything and levels to argue over

Rolo is missing part of his ear which I can only assume is from fighting. I don't know how long they've been separated now so I'm not going to reintroduce them in a bigger cage because I'm sure it's too late for that.

They are, however quite happy having their cages next to each other! Rocky is very sociable with people (and seems to be awake all the time) and loves tormenting Takara...
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Aw they are lovely. I need to get a bigger cage for Mr Fluffy, our hammie. He is just getting soooo fat. He does get out in his ball but still needs a bigger cage.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Sweet little things What kind of Hamster are they? I nearly adopted one recently as it had been in a local rescue for a while but they got it a home
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks

Cava - They're Russian Dwarves. Apparently (according to a hammy savvy person) they look more like Winter Whites than Campbells but they are most likely to be a cross breed of both types of russian dwarf because I assume they came from a pet shop, not a breeder.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
They are lovely , good on you offering them a fab home xxxxxxxx