Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Should I take Gadget to the Vet?

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with Gadget but the things that are making me worry are so small/subtle, that I think if I go to the vet he will just laugh at me...

Recently Gadget has been 'gobbing' out a little bit of water onto the floor. It's not every day - maybe 2-3 times/week, but I was wondering why? He's never done it before. Is it because of the hot weather?

Also, we found a tick on him a few weeks ago. I got rid of it by burning it's bum & pulling it out - I'm sure it came out fine & cant find anything when I check the area, although his hair is very dense so it would be difficult to find if there was something there.

This is the bit that sounds silly... For the last few days he's been staring at me funny! I can't work out what he wants - its not food/drink/piddles/play/cuddles, but there's definitely something he's trying to tell me and I can't work it out. It's very difficult to describe, but he doesn't usually act like this, and I've convinced myself that he's trying to tell me there's something wrong! I know I sound really silly & over paranoid, but it got me thinking "if there was something wrong, how would I know?!" obviously if he was limping or off his food or something it would be obvious, but he just seems... dunno the right word to use... pensive.

Ooh I wish he could talk!!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 12:41 PM
I would say if you are worried go to the vet - or ring them. Is he eating/drinking/pooping OK? Do you feel OK, have you been unwell/upset/stressed recently, dogs often pick up the most subtle things.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 12:45 PM
If your worried i would talk to your vet, you obviously know Gadget very well, maybe you're right about his funny stares, he might be trying to tell you something.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Trish
I would say if you are worried go to the vet - or ring them. Is he eating/drinking/pooping OK? Do you feel OK, have you been unwell/upset/stressed recently, dogs often pick up the most subtle things.
Yes to all of the above... the only symptom he has as such is the 'gobbing' out water (sorry I hate that word but it best describes what he's doing!)

I can just see the conversation with the vet... "so what's wrong, then?"
"Well, he keeps looking at me intently... I think he's trying to tell me he's got a headache"
"Er, OK MissB..."
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Have you checked over the inside his mouth to see if he has a sore area/puncture mark or dental problem? Probably have more obvious symptoms but just a thought. Hope he's ok
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 03:58 PM
How old is Gadget, is he a youngster or is he getting on a bit.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Katie you know your own dog and if you feel there is something wrong check it out..
I would start by standing Gadget on a table and give him a check ...
..are the eyes clean and clear, are the ears clean and clear, have a good look in the mouth paying particular attention to the roof of the mouth where things can become lodged, check the teeth, is the breath ok ?

Now check the body running your hands over the tummy, does it feel tight and hard, is Gadget reluctant to have any part of his body touched..is he drinking more/peeing and pooing ok ?

Never be afraid to ask a vet, remember you are the paying customer and no good vet will ever tell you that you are wasting his time.

I once had a bitch with no symptoms at all, I just felt things were not right and took her to the vet, it's a good job I did because It turned out she was in the early stages of a closed pyometra..
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks for ur advice Toby, bint, Katiecoos & Mini...

He's 4-5yrs old
He doesn't seem to have any dental problems - not got the nicest breath but nothings changed there!
I will give him a thorough check like you described tonight Mini (Had just left work so missed ur post yesterday) but I do know that there's nowhere he's sensitive about being touched, even where the tick bite was.

I think I may have worked out why he was looking at me funny though... it seems he was trying to say "I have hidden a piece of chicken down the back of the sofa cushion and don't want you to find it so I'm looking shifty..."!!!

So perhaps that solves everything! He does act very strangely when he's got something to hide.

The only thing niggling me now is the tick bite... if anyone's got experience of tick bites could they give me their opinion... if it's removed and heals fine, does that mean everything's OK, or could some nasty germs have got to him & it still healed fine anyway?

I will check him over thoroughly tonight, and if he 'gobs' again I will book him straight into the vet

Thanks everyone xx
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Aah, so that's why he was looking at you funny!! Cheeky Gadget!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 11:15 AM
It's not a reflux thing, is it? Hope he's okay.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >