Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Fair points. All ours came from a poppy seller's tray outside a supermarket.
Mine too
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
This might be directed at me because of a remark I made in another post.
I can tell you my reason for the comment. I understood that the proceeds from the sale of the paper poppies went to the benelovent funds of wounded/ retired soldiers, sailors and airforce men.
I know the the poppy broaches can be bought from Amazon with no reference to the Royal British Legion. Who gets these profits?
It was just a thought I would rather my money went to the RBL.
As said in the original post they are sold by the Royal British Legion in their online shop so proceeds do go direct to them.
http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/charity-....html#_size=44
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Apologies Trouble. When I looked earlier in the year I could only find broaches that made no reference to the RBL.
I see now that they are all sold by them.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Apologies Trouble. When I looked earlier in the year I could only find broaches that made no reference to the RBL.
I see now that they are all sold by them.
No problem x
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Ours is a free country - because of the sacrifices made by those who lost their lives in the service of their country. In a free country it should be possible to wear a poppy (or not) without insighting the judgement of others.
I wear one, a simple paper one, as an ex-serviceman it has considerable significance to me. Others can do as they please without let or hinderance from me and I would expect the same in return.
I must add - it would be a very brave person who told me I had no right to wear it or make some foolhardy judgement within my hearing.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2016, 08:12 AM
I apologise Trouble for my "twat" comment ... that was not directed at people like yourself who have a ceramic poppy ... it was directed at Corbyn who I consider to be a total left wing idiot and the fact that he had to deliberately make a point ... a bit like that ghastly man Michael Foot who wore a donkey jacket at a Remembrance Service.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

14-11-2016, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I apologise Trouble for my "twat" comment ... that was not directed at people like yourself who have a ceramic poppy ... it was directed at Corbyn who I consider to be a total left wing idiot and the fact that he had to deliberately make a point ... a bit like that ghastly man Michael Foot who wore a donkey jacket at a Remembrance Service.
I'm not a Corbyn fan either but I do sometimes think he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't so to speak just because he's not liked. He obviously has a collection of poppies as he was wearing a metal lapel pin poppy on Andrew Marr yesterday. Michael foot in a donkey jacket somehow seemed more apt to me than a Crombie overcoat.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2016, 09:00 AM
This might be directed at me because of a remark I made in another post.
I can tell you my reason for the comment. I understood that the proceeds from the sale of the paper poppies went to the benelovent funds of wounded/ retired soldiers, sailors and airforce men.
I know the the poppy broaches can be bought from Amazon with no reference to the Royal British Legion. Who gets these profits?
It was just a thought I would rather my money went to the RBL.
I didn't see the other post, but if the above is correct then I will definitely continue to buy a paper poppy.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'm not a Corbyn fan either but I do sometimes think he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't so to speak just because he's not liked. He obviously has a collection of poppies as he was wearing a metal lapel pin poppy on Andrew Marr yesterday. Michael foot in a donkey jacket somehow seemed more apt to me than a Crombie overcoat.
Fair enough ... I know what you mean, and I suppose when I say I cannot stand the man, what I mean is I cannot stand his politics. I personally think that extremity in politics is always worrisome, whether it be on the right or the left. And I think I agree with you about the Crombie coat - would have looked even worse on him than the donkey jacket!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Bought my poppy from the seller outside Asda.
I can't get my head around some of the things Corbyn comes out with, the man's back in the '60's. Wants to re-open the Coal Mines, oh really, and who's going to work in them. Can't see young lads and men wanting to. They don't want jobs where they'll get dirty and ruin their hair.
When I had all those failed coal deliveries it was because they took on new people, who jacked it in within an hour or so because they couldn't do the work involved. So working at the coal face is a heck of a lot tougher, and more dangerous, than delivering it!!!
Corbyn needs to wake up to the world he lives in. He lives in a house worth nearly a million, so not totally in the '60's is he, just when it sounds good to his hangers on
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >