View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2013, 08:17 PM
If you don't want to spend a lot of money maybe try a good steam cleaner on it? And then lots of time spent out in the sunshine (if you manage to get some!)
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear that Remus is not his usual happy self - hope all goes well at the vet and the problem is quickly sorted for you both. xx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by Maiseymoo View Post
Aww poor Remus. I hope you manage to get him sorted quickly and it's nothing that you need to worry about.

These dogs are such a worry sometimes
Thank you

Originally Posted by Polarbear2008 View Post
Firstly, I hope Remus gets on ok at the vet tomorrow. Fingers crossed its just something simple.
With regards your futon mattress, have you considered getting a professional in to clean it for you?
My mum was only telling me last week that she'd had some very elderly visitors and sadly one of them was incontinent and made a mess on one of mums new sofa cushions
She contacted a professional upholstery cleaner who came to take a look and ended up doing a great job. I think it cost around £45 but at least she saved her cushion. Perhaps it's something you might consider? It might be cheaper than dumping the mattress..... Good luck
It's worth a try, I'll give a company a ring and see if they can do anything.when I live with my very old fox hound cross in a bed sit he quite often used to stand up in the night and wee on the bed. I had no other option but to sleep with him as he was rescued at ten years and bad separation anxiety and would only settle if he could see the front door and was claustrophobic so could not be crate trained. I used to scrub my mattress and prop it up against a radiator to dry....but it never went all the way through like Remus' has done!
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
If you don't want to spend a lot of money maybe try a good steam cleaner on it? And then lots of time spent out in the sunshine (if you manage to get some!)
I was wondering about this too but would that remove the wee from right inside the mattress?
Originally Posted by susannah92 View Post
Sorry to hear that Remus is not his usual happy self - hope all goes well at the vet and the problem is quickly sorted for you both. xx
Thank you.

I've decided dogs a bit like buying cars and houses, each time you get one you discover more good and not so good things about that type of dog. I've know short black haired dogs are for me at the moment as I don't have the time for grooming...I've also now discovered that very long legged short haired males are an absolute scinch to get a wee sample from, not even sure he noticed I was there really as he was cloud gazing while he squatted for his morning wee. : )
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:27 AM
If you manage to get your futon clean and want to continue to allow the dogs on it - I can recommend the fitted waterproof mattress covers that have a cotton towelling top layer bonded to waterproof backing with nylon fitted corners.

They are not expensive and last a long time. I used to put one on the 'push flat' sofa bed in the rental apartment. Then just drape a big throw over. You then only have a throw and a fitted sheet to wash.

I've invested in 3 new ones right now for use in Aug when my son is here with the 4 kids - obviously for the baby but the 5yr old still prone to the odd bedwetting accident. I'm going to get another for the new daybed. Then it won't matter who sleeps in what beds or what gets spilt. Better than worrying about how to clean up after the event of an 'accident'.

They are so much nicer than just rubber sheets or any sort of plasticky ones or pads and provide a non slip towelling top surface to hold blankets, sheets or throws in place.

I believe a powerful steam cleaner would penetrate through the mattress. Of course here I would just totally saturate it for some time but here the weather is such that it would still dry out in a day even if it had been chucked in the pool!

I've had to clean a mattress up once in the past - it was a long job but I did it in the back garden propped up against the fence on plastic on the ground and employed the hose(!) proprietary upholstery cleaner and lots of fresh air - I just kept dragging it in and out of the house if it rained or at night. I also used a powerful hairdryer on it regularly too to speed up drying. It was an expensive and quite new mattress so I devoted myself to the cleaning of it for some time!

This is the type of cover I am talking about:
http://tinyurl.com/lqhbl6q
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:14 AM
If you manage to get your futon clean and want to continue to allow the dogs on it - I can recommend the fitted waterproof mattress covers that have a cotton towelling top layer bonded to waterproof backing with nylon fitted corners.

They are not expensive and last a long time. I used to put one on the 'push flat' sofa bed in the rental apartment. Then just drape a big throw over. You then only have a throw and a fitted sheet to wash.

I've invested in 3 new ones right now for use in Aug when my son is here with the 4 kids - obviously for the baby but the 5yr old still prone to the odd bedwetting accident. I'm going to get another for the new daybed. Then it won't matter who sleeps in what beds or what gets spilt. Better than worrying about how to clean up after the event of an 'accident'.

They are so much nicer than just rubber sheets or any sort of plasticky ones or pads and provide a non slip towelling top surface to hold blankets, sheets or throws in place.

I believe a powerful steam cleaner would penetrate through the mattress. Of course here I would just totally saturate it for some time but here the weather is such that it would still dry out in a day even if it had been chucked in the pool!

I've had to clean a mattress up once in the past - it was a long job but I did it in the back garden propped up against the fence on plastic on the ground and employed the hose(!) proprietary upholstery cleaner and lots of fresh air - I just kept dragging it in and out of the house if it rained or at night. I also used a powerful hairdryer on it regularly too to speed up drying. It was an expensive and quite new mattress so I devoted myself to the cleaning of it for some time!

Wow they sound good! I'm happy for them to sit as it especially as it gets the morning sun, when we have it, so they enjoy sunbathing on...but it's getting ruined quickly...even before the wee! Usual covers do no good do they as they just rough them up a bit to get comfy!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Good luck at the vets
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Good luck at the Vet with Remus - fingers crossed it is something minor that can be easily sorted. xx
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Thank you for this, I have a Ercol sofa I want to renovate but was stuck how to keep the cushions from dog hair and muck, I can now get these and put them over the cushions. Hopefully I can find the material if not I can get sheets to make the cushion covers.

I hope it isn't serious with Remus.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Well it's not serious with Remus....because they can't find anything wrong with him! : ) wee fine, concentration of it fine, no blood, Penis seems fine, no pain in bladder area. Most likely a hormonal surge coupled with a dislike of the rain and toilet training confusion since the back door has been open in warm weather.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 12:44 PM
That is good news and piece of mind.

I used to put a waterproof coat on my Greyhound because he wouldn't go out in the rain and also have an umbrella over him. It took time but eventually he started to enjoy being out in the rain.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >