Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 09:40 AM
That's good news, keep us updated !
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Glad to hear that Darcy has perked up a bit and that the urine test did not show any glucose.
cuffs
New Member!
Female 

28-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Hi,

Just to update on Darcy. We've had our 4th visit to the vet in a week. To cut a long story short a lump appeared on Darcy's hind leg which grew within about 4 days to 10 cm. There was a horrible smell and the vet thought it was an abscess so gave antibiotics. It's now stopped smelling and there's a hole left which I'm trying to stop her from licking so it can heal. We had her blood results back today and all is okay apart from very high phosphorous levels. The creatinine and urea are within the normal range. The vet thinks this could be due to the abscess or the start of kidney problems but unusual for just the phosphorous to be high.

I'm hoping she was feeling unwell due to the abscess. I've been feeding her chicken and rice for the last week as she wasn't keen to eat. I'm trying her normal food tonight as the vet said chicken not good for kidneys as high in protein (just in case). She's stopped drinking as much and is looking brighter in herself though still tired.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of raised phosphorous levels?

Thanks

Catherine and Darcy
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I have no experience to offer advice but just wanted to say I'm glad things are looking better and hope your dear dog continues to improve.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Catherine,
I don't know anything about the condition but sorry to hear Darcy is feeling poorly. Think most of us know how worrying it is.hope he feels better soon.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

28-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by cuffs View Post
Hi,

Just to update on Darcy. We've had our 4th visit to the vet in a week. To cut a long story short a lump appeared on Darcy's hind leg which grew within about 4 days to 10 cm. There was a horrible smell and the vet thought it was an abscess so gave antibiotics. It's now stopped smelling and there's a hole left which I'm trying to stop her from licking so it can heal. We had her blood results back today and all is okay apart from very high phosphorous levels. The creatinine and urea are within the normal range. The vet thinks this could be due to the abscess or the start of kidney problems but unusual for just the phosphorous to be high.

I'm hoping she was feeling unwell due to the abscess. I've been feeding her chicken and rice for the last week as she wasn't keen to eat. I'm trying her normal food tonight as the vet said chicken not good for kidneys as high in protein (just in case). She's stopped drinking as much and is looking brighter in herself though still tired.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of raised phosphorous levels? Thanks

Catherine and Darcy
Raised phosphorous levels can indicate anything from thyroid problems to kidney/ liver failure... Best to speak more with your vet , maybe more investigation is needed.
cuffs
New Member!
Female 

30-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Raised phosphorous levels can indicate anything from thyroid problems to kidney/ liver failure... Best to speak more with your vet , maybe more investigation is needed.
Thanks. I've just noticed a lump on Darcy's front leg. It's in exactly the same place as my last dog who I lost 4 years ago to bone cancer. She's limping a bit on it. I'll take her back to the vet tomorrow. I did see raised phosphorus levels can indicate bone cancer but I hope not. I've given her tramadol. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid.
cuffs
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Further from my last post, I wasn't being paranoid, Darcy had an xray of her front leg last Friday and she does have bone cancer. I was away on holiday with her last week. She started limping heavily on returning from the vets last Friday and has been doing so since. She is on Loxicam and 2 tramadol 3 times a day. I took her back to the vet yesterday as she hasn't been doing well and am trying Lysovir as well as the other drugs.

I am absolutely gutted, I realise she won't have long with me and am trying to come to terms with it but not very well. She is 12 1/2 and I'm lucky to have had her this long I realise. She's still limping heavily. I'm feeding her chicken and rice which she loves and the tablets are being hidden in dairylea triangles which again she loves.

It's just knowing when the time is right which I know won't be far away but I'll take one day at a time. She seems settled now we're back from our holiday and is sleeping a lot. She slept so well last night I had to touch her to check she was still breathing.

I lost my last dog, Chester, to bone cancer 4 years ago so know how horrible and painful it is.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Cuffs,
So sorry to hear this sad news on Darcy. Can imagine how hard it must be for you
(((Hugs to you both)))
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by cuffs View Post
Further from my last post, I wasn't being paranoid, Darcy had an xray of her front leg last Friday and she does have bone cancer. I was away on holiday with her last week. She started limping heavily on returning from the vets last Friday and has been doing so since. She is on Loxicam and 2 tramadol 3 times a day. I took her back to the vet yesterday as she hasn't been doing well and am trying Lysovir as well as the other drugs.

I am absolutely gutted, I realise she won't have long with me and am trying to come to terms with it but not very well. She is 12 1/2 and I'm lucky to have had her this long I realise. She's still limping heavily. I'm feeding her chicken and rice which she loves and the tablets are being hidden in dairylea triangles which again she loves.

It's just knowing when the time is right which I know won't be far away but I'll take one day at a time. She seems settled now we're back from our holiday and is sleeping a lot. She slept so well last night I had to touch her to check she was still breathing.

I lost my last dog, Chester, to bone cancer 4 years ago so know how horrible and painful it is.
Not good news, I lost my boy to bone cancer nearly two yrs. ago, I can send you my sympathies....cherish what time you have left.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >