Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by anonymousone View Post
i spose whats worrying me is that, should it be cancer will that be it, or, . is it routine to also give them chemo or more tests afterwards, im trying to plan financially, as i have to pay vets then claim back on insurance, the op is costing 700 pounds, but wondering if theres a chance im going to need to need more money in which case ill plan that now and hold off on on spending on other things if that makes sense just in case.
Hi Katryn , does your insurance limit you to a maximum sum for one condition, if not you can continue to claim for subsequent treatments up to the maximum or in some cases the total for the year depending on the type of insurance you have . I would check the wording on your policy.
Also if you have a problem meeting the cost speak to the vet when you take in the insurance document. Many will be happy to wait if they know the money is coming.
When my puppy Millie was diagnosed with kidney failure and received care totalling over £1,000 I put in a number of claims and only had to wait 14 days for each to be paid. The vet was happy to wait each time.

Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I would be tempted to try another vet for a quote. Last time I had a dog with a cyst it cost about £25 - £30 to get it removed. Now ok, that was many years ago but even allowing for inflation I would have thought £100 -£150 unless there are complications. Maybe you could say that you are paying for the op rather than an insurance company to see what the cost would be first?
It is possible to get a quote from another vet as you say.
I think where on the body the cyst is sited is a consideration. We do not have all the details about this growth and remembering the tail is an extension of the spine and quite a difficult thing to operate on I would not like to say how much this operation might cost.
anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi Mini/Apache,

Ive spoken to the insurance company, they just said that the average claim takes approx. 4-6 weeks, and its payout is dependant on the the assessment team!!!!! I agree its expensive the quote is 600-700 , the vets wont deal directly with the insurance company because they have had bad experiences with waiting too long in past for payment, and that was the same with my vet previous when the cat was ill, so I know im going to have to pay up front. The max claim value is 5k for any ONE claim in a year. From previous experience they have paid out in 4 weeks, but never the full amount ive only seemed to get 80% of the total claim. (Which is still better than nothing at all considering ive had to make many claims on him previously and only been with them 3 years paying quite a low premium)

The problem is it does seem to be growing fast! and I don't now want to waste time, because if it gets much bigger then im faced with him having his tail amputated which on a husky is not good and its quite high near the base,.

The vet did say I could wait and see if it went down, but im too scared to take the chance, only for amputation.
I do trust my vet, I moved to him on recommendations and have been happy with him, Hes booked in for Wednesday so its a waiting game now.....
anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Ill post the results when I get them and what the insurance pays out!!!!! feeling a little more confident then I was yesterday think I was in panic mode!!!!
Meg
Supervisor

10-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Hope all goes well on Wednesday Katryn
anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hope all goes well on Wednesday Katryn
Thank you, ill let you know how it goes
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by anonymousone View Post
Ill post the results when I get them and what the insurance pays out!!!!! feeling a little more confident then I was yesterday think I was in panic mode!!!!
You are not alone, think we've all panicked at some point Good to hear you're feeling better
anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
You are not alone, think we've all panicked at some point Good to hear you're feeling better
Thanks Eileen.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
It is possible to get a quote from another vet as you say.
I think where on the body the cyst is sited is a consideration. We do not have all the details about this growth and remembering the tail is an extension of the spine and quite a difficult thing to operate on I would not like to say how much this operation might cost.
Hi Mini, yes good point. It's just that my experience of vets and their cosy relationship with insurance companies over recent years leads me to distrust them. Hence the reason our insurance premiums rise so fast. £700 seems very very expensive for a lump removal, even on the tail. I would ask for the work to be cost itemised and use it to get another quote.

For example:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4062152AAGN84l
Carole
Supervisor

11-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Hope all goes well

Originally Posted by Apache View Post
£700 seems very very expensive for a lump removal, even on the tail. I would ask for the work to be cost itemised and use it to get another quote.

For example:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4062152AAGN84l
I have always been around £500/600 for lump removals but thats including GA, antibiotics, painkillers etc and getting the lump tested which is around £60 alone. Recently the GA for Star was £160ish alone and bloods cause she was an older dog were £94.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Yes Carole, as your figures illustrate, vets are making a lot of money at our expense. The staff car park at our local vet surgery is full of Mercedes, Porsche and BMW's.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >